Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HoloLens local storage

Isn't HoloLens have local storage. I noticed if I need to store e.g. a word file to it then I have to upload to OneDrive. I was also trying to open video file stored in my local LAN (tried open using \address in VLC) but got failed.

How you guys are doing it?

Best Answer

Answers

• edited August 2016

To add to this, I've found the documents, pictures, camera roll folder to work fairly well. You can see the files with the HL web portal when troubleshooting. Remember you can always get to the HL web portal on the device itself.

Other than that what @HoloSheep mention is on point.

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• Dwight - the device portal (rest api) used to see documents on the hololens, as far as I know, is only available in development mode. If you sell someone an app where you need file access it is likely they won't put their hololens in development mode. Please someone correct me if this is wrong.

HoloSheep - I am trying to use a filepicker in unity C# / script with no results. I do have onedrive app installed. I am saving / loading using Application.persistentDataPath but this is not visible to user outside my app and therefore not sufficient.

• @randyiform did you create your Unity project as a Windows 10 "Xaml" app?

I believe the FilePickers require your Unity app to be of type XAML as opposed to the D3D flavor similar to the virtual keyboard.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• @HoloSheep
    I started this project as Direct3D in Unity. I reset the Unity build settings to be "XAML" because I needed to use the keyboard and follow hyperlinks to a browser, these both seem to work okay. So I do think it is in "XAML" mode, but it did not start clean that way, perhaps this is a problem? It shouldn't be, but things are still evolving.

• @randyiform one thing you can try is deleting the Unity build generated files from the project folder highlighted in the following image (along with the Library directory):

And then regenerating them by doing a new build with the UWP build type set to XAML, giving you a fresh set.

HOWEVER, if you made any code customizations to your previous UWP App.cs file, or any other UWP specific project file changes that are not also stored as scripts or meta data in the Unity Asset folder or project settings you will want to make backups of the App folder before deleting and be prepared to add back those customizations into the newly generated UWP project if necessary. In "most" workflows this is not necessary, but if you have done some advanced fancy stuff to the generated UWP project it might be and in that case you will likely know it.

HTH

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings