Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Why is Launch Sharing Service not working?

HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
edited June 2016 in Questions And Answers

Trying to add Sharing to one of my applications by leveraging the latest version (June 6 download) of the Unity HoloToolkit.

I am following along some of the steps in Academy 240 as an example.

But for some reason something that seems so simple does not seem to be working.

When I select "Launch Sharing Service" from the HoloToolkit menu in unity, the sharing service window does not appear.

If I then load the Finale code from Academy 240 in a side-by-side instance of Unity and try the same thing, it launches just fine. (The firewall message comes up and I okay it).

Peeking at the StagingServer code I notice there are some differences between the version used in 240 and what is now in the HTK. Is there something new or special that I need to do with the current generation of the HTK to get the Launch Sharing Service menu option to work?

Is the Sharing code maybe broken in the current version of the HTK?

(NOTE to forum admins: "HoloToolkit" would make a good forum tag, could you please add it?)

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

Best Answer

Answers

• @HoloSheep,
    Tag added :)

• @DavidKlineMS thanks for the quick Tag response!

Now if some smart fellow like @Patrick could help clarify what is going on with the Launch Sharing Service I would be all set and be able to get back to preparing for this Wednesday's WinHUGR presentation. :smile:

• PatrickPatrick mod
    edited June 2016

First, I think that there is a bug in the current HoloToolkit sharing. Last week someone reported that the Unity Editor was crashing if you press play with the sharing prefab enabled. In SharingStage.cs the following line need to be added before calling SharingManager.Create:

config.SetProfilerEnabled(false);
    *edit: (I just pushed this change)

But, that doesn't help your immediate concern. I think I reproduced the issue. I'm getting slightly different behavior (I get a scary looking security dialog) but I think the root cause might be the same. If I'm right, you downloaded and extracted the .zip from GitHub. Somewhere along the way the file got marked as a potentially dangerous file that you need to unblock. So go to External\HoloToolkit\Sharing\Server, right click on SharingService, and check the 'unblock' checkbox.

And if that works, the better thing to do would be to follow the same steps for the actual .zip file (it's also 'blocked') and then extract again.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• @Patrick interesting, so besides the zip being blocked (rookie oversight on my part), your answer actually flushes out perhaps a bigger issue.

The structure of the zip contents includes a number of different files and folders.

So far, when using the HTK in Unity I have drilled down to:

..\HoloToolkit-Unity-master\HoloToolkit-Unity-master\Assets

and copied the following files into my projects Asset folder:

But! that does not include the file that you just mentioned above (which I gather is an important file since you mentioned it :) )

The External directory is one level up, and it then has several layers deep of folders of its own. The Sharing/Server folder sounds like something that I may also need in my project for the sharing service to work?

So while we are on the topic, when I am starting on a new project from scratch and looking to leverage the HTK in that project, what contents of the HoloToolkit-Unity-master ZIP download do I need to copy and where in order for all of the HTK goodness to work, and in particular the Sharing Service which has been the one thing that hasn't worked so far when I used the above mentioned strategy.

Since many people would use the HTK in cases where they are not using sharing or maybe using sharing but not acting as the server, I can totally see the logic in storing the server outside of the main HTK content. But, in the case where the project is also going to be used to run the SharingService what is the right strategy
    on where to locate the required parts.

Thanks!

• Thank you @Patrick

Copying the External path tree from the HTK zip contents into my Unity project folder did the trick. Much appreciated!

• @Patrick while we are on the topic... :smile:

As I look over the next steps in Academy 240, the two main scripts that get replaced a number of times in the tutorial and that seem to impact the sharing mechanics are:

• HologramPlacement.cs
    • AppStateManager.cs

Before I unwind all of these app specific chunks of code, I thought I should double check with you if any new generalized routines exist in the current HTK sharing that I should be aware of and leveraging? Or is the correct strategy forward with the current HTK, to create custom equivalents to these two scripts?

At this point my goals are pretty simple, I am looking for secondary users to be able to see the primary users hologram and for them to be able to observe (and maybe initiate) any commands and interactions that I have implemented in my app (for example "Bigger" & "Smaller" keyword handlers that scale the hologram or the "Tap To Place" script leveraged from the HTK to move the hologram.

Floating Poly's and weapons are not in my current scope.

• I would recreate those scripts (and custommessages.cs) to suit your app's needs.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)