Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

For how long the HoloLens can map the environment and for what distance?

Is the time of spatial mapping is limited? And is the distance or the space limited?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓

Hey, @HoloLens8

HoloLens continuously maps the environment and tries to always have the most up to date and most precise understanding of it. This process cannot be paused neither from within the OS nor from within your app (unless you turn off the device of course). This process also cannot be, to my knowledge, customized in terms of precision, level of detail, radius etc. The only thing you can do is delete the space in the settings which will re-initiate the process. I don't know any specific limitations to how far the HoloLens will scan the environment before it starts erasing older data. There may not be any specific geometrical restriction, rather memory.

Now, not to be confused with spatial mapping. Spatial mapping is the process of feeding of the reconstructed mesh (as a snapshot of the environment) into your app with certain rate. Once the snapshot is created it represents the past. You can only wait for the next snapshot. That process is only one way from the OS into your app. You cannot feed anything back to the HoloLens, that data is a lossy anyway. This one is probably one of the most frequently asked questions on the forum: a'la "how do I load my own space into HoloLens and make it bealieve it's its own". You cannot. You can, however, pause that process and stop receiving the mesh. You can also choose level of detail and radius of the mesh you desire. Also don't get confused with HTK/MRTK's wrapper around spatial mapping that introduces something like scan/rescan/save/load. It doesn't override the fundamentals and still has the same good old spatial mapping under the hood with the same concepts.

Hope this helps.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

Answers

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓

Hey, @HoloLens8

HoloLens continuously maps the environment and tries to always have the most up to date and most precise understanding of it. This process cannot be paused neither from within the OS nor from within your app (unless you turn off the device of course). This process also cannot be, to my knowledge, customized in terms of precision, level of detail, radius etc. The only thing you can do is delete the space in the settings which will re-initiate the process. I don't know any specific limitations to how far the HoloLens will scan the environment before it starts erasing older data. There may not be any specific geometrical restriction, rather memory.

Now, not to be confused with spatial mapping. Spatial mapping is the process of feeding of the reconstructed mesh (as a snapshot of the environment) into your app with certain rate. Once the snapshot is created it represents the past. You can only wait for the next snapshot. That process is only one way from the OS into your app. You cannot feed anything back to the HoloLens, that data is a lossy anyway. This one is probably one of the most frequently asked questions on the forum: a'la "how do I load my own space into HoloLens and make it bealieve it's its own". You cannot. You can, however, pause that process and stop receiving the mesh. You can also choose level of detail and radius of the mesh you desire. Also don't get confused with HTK/MRTK's wrapper around spatial mapping that introduces something like scan/rescan/save/load. It doesn't override the fundamentals and still has the same good old spatial mapping under the hood with the same concepts.

Hope this helps.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.