Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Cliffhouse / skyloft holograms and Hololens holograms

Hi
I see Cliffhouse and skyloft environments as labs for mixed reality / hololens. Putting 2D windows and holograms around you in a 3D environement gives you a lot of new ideas about interacting with computers in a more natural way.

unfortunately cliffhouse/skyloft holograms can't be programmed. I don't even know how I can add my own holograms to cliffhouse/skyloft.

Is there a way to create interactive holograms we can put in cliffhouse/skyloft environements?

Why didn't Microsoft unify hololens and cliffhouse/skyloft holograms ?

Thanks

cyril

Answers

• You can add your own holograms by using Mixed Reality Viewer. This is a new feature introduced in 1803. You can download models from the Remix3D site or import your own. Paint 3D works hand-in-hand so you can generate models in that free app and import into your house/loft.

The RS4 1803 insider preview for HoloLens now has the same Holograms portfolio as the WMR for Desktop. I don't know if there's a way to import models as easily as for the Desktop version.

• Hi

thanks. yes I saw this and tested it already. The issue now is how to build interactive holograms / 3D models.

The pinacle of this would be to create some webvr interative scene and be able to drag it into skyloft.

While there is a detailed dev doc on hololens programmable holograms it seems skyloft holograms are just static 3d objetcs

Cyril

• I think I understand - you want to have a 3D app running in the Loft/House instead of dissolving into its own instance. Is that right? Would a chatbot or some kind of programmable pet be an example of what you're looking for?

I don't see a way to do this on HoloLens, unless you're talking about the launcher holograms on HoloLens? (e.g. an app icon that comes to life when you look at it or get near it, but is essentially just a launcher)

• Whatever you build with Unity can be interactive. I find current skyloft/cliffhouse holograms pretty useless but in the same time they show how intuitive it can be to manipulate 3D objects in 3D space.

therefore I whish we could use them as interactive metaphors to view/launch things.

think of them as super 3D powerpoint presentation if you want

cyril