Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Tracking lag on bright lighting conditions

McDevMcDev
edited June 2018 in Troubleshooting

I developed an app and suddenly the tracking lags every 1-3 seconds. After a lot of testing and troubleshooting I came to the following conclusions:

• I use the Samsung Odyssey on i7, GTX 1070 and Xenon, Nvidia K6000.
  • On the Oculus even at 200% resolution teh app runs super smooth
  • The game runs constantly at around 120FPS and no spikes are vissible.
  • Everything but head movement is smooth, if I don't moove the headit is fine
  • It only appears on higher GPU load (total 350 batches, 8Million tris) but still a little on less load.
  • Steam VR Performance graph showed huge spikes for NewPoses Ready and WaitGetPose Call (I use the device with Steam VR).

But I then realised that the main issue seems to be the environment, it seems to only occur when bright light is present or when I look towards windows. When I looked in the shadowed areas the lag was gone. But still, it only appears when those 4 million (x2) triangles are being rendered.

So my question is if there is any explanation to this phenomenon and what might be ideal environmental conditions. We also wondered if there is a way to see the image from the cameras or get any notification of bad conditions.

Answers

• Options

Hi McDev,
    My name is William and I work with the Windows Mixed Reality support team. I believe that you are correct in thinking the environment is the cause of the tracking lag as environments with very bright lighting or otherwise unusual lighting conditions (e.g. looking out a window with bright light) can affect tracking. The basic reason behind this is that the HMD cameras are tracking the controllers by seeing the lights on the controllers, which can be hard to see if there is a bright source of light that obscures those controller lights or if there are point lights that are confused for the controller lights. You can read more about it and things that can help in this section on the Enthusiast's Guide here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/troubleshooting-windows-mixed-reality#motion-controllers

As to your second question, I do not believe there is an easy way to get the image from the cameras or get a notification, however these are good feedback points, the best way to let the developers know about new features wanted is if you request them on the Feedback Hub app in Windows 10 (you can also search for other Feedback items that people have created about the same features and upvote them).
    Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions!

• William
  • Options
    McDevMcDev
    edited June 2018

Thanks for the answere, in fact the Controllers seem to be tracked quite well, it only is about head movement. I jsut now found out how to add an image:

I consider to provide feedback. One example is Leap Motion devices which notify the user if there is smudge on the device or if infrared lights are vissble which it tries to compensate.

• Options

I have a custom scientific visualization application with the same problem. On Oculus everything is very smooth, even if running at only 40FPS due to the large amount of data being processed. On WMR (tested Samsung Odyssey and and Acer) everything is great if you don't move your head... but head movement causes unacceptable jitter/lag ... almost like the head tracking is predicting wrong, or always out of date, so lots of back and forth jitter.