Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Lenovo Explorer stopped working/wont start anymore after 10 days without issue

I am running a Lenovo Explorer WMR headset on Windows 10 with all recent Windows updates and GPU drivers installed on an Acer Laptop with both Intel and Nvidia graphics card. The headset plugged into the HDMI port of the laptop worked fine even at 90 Hz for more than a week with serveral reboots and unpluggin in between.

Then it suddenly stopped working. If I plug in the headset the Mixed Reality Portal still detects the headset and its movement is shown in the Mixed Reality Portal. However, the display of the headset stays black. When I change the settings from 90 Hz to 60 Hz the Mixed Reality Portal says "Ready" but event the movement of the headset is not shown anymore.

I have seen a lot of forum posts about the display of the headset staying black. Often this seems to be realted to some hardware issue but in my case it worked flawlessly for several days before and I did not change anything in my hardware so I'm sure my hardware is OK and I'm wondering how this can be fixed by software settings.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Options

Hi FrankDrebin,

Have you checked this Troubleshooting document? There are a few of the most common causes and how to troubleshoot them which might help you. Especially

If your headsets are occasionally turning black after some time:

• Try disabling any USB suspend / power saving features your PC might have, for instance: Selective suspend in Windows power options, the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in Device Manager, and any USB power saving settings in your PC's firmware.
    • Temporarily disconnect any other USB devices and peripherals connected to your PC.
    • Double check your GPU driver version: Make sure it's recent, but also pay attention to any new performance and compatibility issues and regressions on brand new drivers.

Besides the headset black screen troubleshooting flow chart might also be helpful.

• Options
    edited July 2018

Thanks for your response JayZuo (I forgot my password for the other account)

I tried all your suggestions but without being successful.

Then I tried to use an USB-C to HDMI adapter to connect the headset. However, this was also not successfil as the headset was not detected ("Check display cable error")

Then I followed the troubleshooting guide and ended up at "Try pluggin HDMI though an externally powered USB hub". So I organized a USB 3 hub with external power supply. When I plugged in the headset I didn't see a change at first. However, after rebooting the laptop the headset started working again!!! Another reebot and it still worked! Then I removed the USB hub again to check if this was really solving the issue. Surprisingly, it still worked without the USB hub ...

So I guess the issue is solved somehow... Still I don't understand why the USB-hub helped here. If the regular USB port at the laptop didn't supply enough power why did it work for more than a week before...? And why did it still work after removing the USB hub because this means nothing has changed? So even though I don't need it at the moment I'm gonna keep the USB hub just to be sure for the future...

• Options

And the issue is back again after working for more than 1 week .... It happend from one day to the other without any updates or configuration changes in between. Now even using the externally powered USB-hub won't help. I find a lot of post with the exact same issue and I am wondering that the solution wasn't figured out obviously...

Any ideas?