The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.
There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.
The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.
For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.
If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.
And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Holo Tanks - turn the living room into a battle arena
Its been a couple of days since I received my HoloLens. So far just have been going through all HoloAcademy tutorials. Prettttyyyy Sweeet.
So as my first getting-my-hands-wet project, I am going to create a simplified variation of my Windows Store game "Tank Arena".
Watch the video trailer for the original game. The HoloLens version will be simplified and incorporate HoloLens user experience.
I am giving myself till July 1st to release version 0.1 on the store. ( I wont be a true developer if I dont give myself unrealistic deadlines lol )
I am just starting this thread to report my progress, post videos, common road blocks I face and how I solve them, ask some questions, get feedback etc. I will also cross post the progress on my dev-blog.
Here are some fluid objectives:
- Incorporate Gaze, Gesture, Voice, Spatial Sound and basic Spatial Mapping features
- Create a basic Arena. Initially this will be a 2d plane that the player can place in the real world on a table top / planar surface.
- Navigate player Tank in arena with Gaze and voice commands like "Follow" for continous navigation, "Arrive" to set a target destination, "Stop" to stop etc
- Switch tank guns using voice commands like "Basic Gun", "Spread Gun" etc
- Toggle between Navigation and Aim using voice command at which point Gaze is Aim
- Air Tap or voice command "Fire" to fire
- Spawn enemy turrets and tanks with basic enemy AI to attack/evade
- Keep a local score table
- Wave level mode, Timed level mode etc
So guys wish me luck.. and give me suggestions.. all of you who have a head start on me anything that can help me towards a realistic, fun HoloLens version. I want to learn as much as possible from this exercise for big things to come in the future.
Healthcare IT professional by day - Indie GameDev for UWP and mobile platforms by night