Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

SpatialMapping produces strange map

I'm using the SpatialMapping Manager from the HoloToolkit in my app. When I launch the app and use this, I see the wireframe mesh begin to appear and it's very strange. It's producing column like structures in the middle of my room that aren't there. Additionally, when I look at the floor it's almost like the floor is transparent and I'm seeing structures under it being formed by the wireframe.

I only have this problem using the HoloLens unit itself. The emulator this script seems to work normally.

What is causing this?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

Can you give screenshots? There are some things to keep in mind:

• If a person was standing when scanned, you'll see their 'mesh shadow' so to speak, until you get close enough to rescan that area.
    • Extra dark materials that don't reflect things well may produce oddities like hole sin the mesh.
    • Same for things that are reflective.
  • Options

Attached is a screenshot. The problem actually exhibits itself on very white carpet and walls. Take a look!

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

Interesting, that is odd. I wonder if it would fix itself if you deleted the space or if it is reproducible in your environment. Though, before testing that, the mods may want you to submit the spatial mesh for debugging, they seem to always be interested when the spatial data behaves oddly.

• Options

It's driving me kind of nuts. haha! I spent 8 hours over the weekend fiddling to see what I was doing wrong. But it works fine in the emulator so I have to believe it's something with my mesh on the device itself.

• Options

Can you double-check that your main camera is at 0,0,0?

• Options

@timg said:
    Can you double-check that your main camera is at 0,0,0?

Yep - 0,0,0.

• Options

If you tap around in the shell does the map seem right?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

@Patrick said:
    If you tap around in the shell does the map seem right?

Yes - seems like it.

• Options

What are the coordinates of your SpatialMapping prefab in your scene? Is it located in the root of your hierarchy?

• Options

Hi @runamuck,
    Have you tried to delete the stored mesh on your device? To delete your space, start the 'Settings' app and then go to' Settings > Spaces', select your space and press 'Remove'. Let's see if generating a new mesh resoloves the issue.

• Options

@ahillier said:
    Hi @runamuck,
    Have you tried to delete the stored mesh on your device? To delete your space, start the 'Settings' app and then go to' Settings > Spaces', select your space and press 'Remove'. Let's see if generating a new mesh resoloves the issue.

Ok, will try this tonight.