SpatialUnderstanding MeshRenderer color change during run-time

BokuBoku
edited August 2018 in Questions And Answers

Hi guys,

I'm currently working with SpatialUnderstanding, which is a module for the Microsoft HoloLens. Within the module, mesh of the space the user is currently in is mapped (essentially a processed spatial map). I'm looking to modify the mesh material color during run-time, but the following code I have seems to have no effect (visually):

void TestFunction()
 {
     List<MeshRenderer> roomMeshRenderers = SpatialUnderstanding.Instance.UnderstandingCustomMesh.GetMeshRenderers() as List<MeshRenderer>;
     foreach (currentRenderer in roomMeshRenderers)
     {
         Material material = currentRenderer.material;
         Debug.Log(material.color);
         material.color = Color.white;
         currentRenderer.material = material;
     }
 }

Would appreciate it if anyone could point why this code has no effect.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• pstuevenpstueven ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Hey @Boku ,

I did something similar with but also used spatialUnterstanding in that scenario. Try this:
    SpatialUnderstandingCustomMesh spatialMesh = GameObject.Find("SpatialMapping").GetComponent<SpatialUnderstandingCustomMesh>(); foreach (SpatialMappingSource.SurfaceObject surfaceObject in spatialMesh.SurfaceObjects) { surfaceObject.Renderer.material = material }
    Of course you need to adjust the string "SpatialMapping" to the name of the object holding your SpatialMapping

Regards
    @pstueven

• @pstueven said:
    Hey @Boku ,

I did something similar with but also used spatialUnterstanding in that scenario. Try this:
    SpatialUnderstandingCustomMesh spatialMesh = GameObject.Find("SpatialMapping").GetComponent<SpatialUnderstandingCustomMesh>(); foreach (SpatialMappingSource.SurfaceObject surfaceObject in spatialMesh.SurfaceObjects) { surfaceObject.Renderer.material = material }
    Of course you need to adjust the string "SpatialMapping" to the name of the object holding your SpatialMapping

Regards
    @pstueven

Hey @pstueven

That works and changes the material. I found out there is already a function available in SpatialUnderstandingCustomMesh.cs which does this, called "MeshMaterial".

I have a slightly different problem however, when I try to change the texture of the material to be rendered the new texture doesn't seem to get applied. The code is as follows:
    SpatialUnderstanding.Instance.UnderstandingCustomMesh.ChangeProcessedMeshTexture(targetTexture);

And in SpatialUnderstandingCustomMesh.cs I have:
    public void ChangeProcessedMeshTexture(Texture2D targetTexture) { for (int i = 0; i < SurfaceObjects.Count; ++i) { SurfaceObjects[i].Renderer.material.SetTexture("_MainTex", targetTexture); } }

• @pstueven said:
    Hey @Boku ,
    To be honest I am not into materials that much. So I am just giving suggestions here:
    Are you sure the current material has a texture called "_MainTex" applied? The first argument of SetTexture determines which texture you want to set. Maybe try using "_BumpMap" or Material.mainTex .

That was the problem! My shader didn't have a _MainTex. Think I'll have to use another shader.