Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

I see the red green and blue colors separatly when I move my head

Hi,
I just received my Hololens. After the update I see the 3 colors RGB separated around the the cursor (and other holograms) when I move my head. there is a little delay between the 3 colors.
when I move my head left to right the 3 circles of the cursor are clearly visible.
I recalibrate but this has not change anything.

What can I do?

Answers

• I've been told this is normal - recommendation is to avoid using strong whites with head tracking movements (like the cursor). In my app, I use a blue cursor and do not have any issues like this. My guess is that they'll update the default cursor to prevent this in future release.

• @Jerome,
    here is the section of the documentation that talks about the issue.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• JeromeJerome ✭✭

that's it! exactly the problem I suffer. I hope they can optimize this by code in a future update, because its the main problem of the Hololens for now. I can see artifacts around everything in white when I move my head.

• Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

@Jerome said:
    that's it! exactly the problem I suffer. I hope they can optimize this by code in a future update, because its the main problem of the Hololens for now. I can see artifacts around everything in white when I move my head.

I'd say it's more of a hardware limitation than software... Maybe they can do some software wizardry to fix it, but unlikely. Basically they're doing something similar to how a DLP (DMD with color wheel) works, they will flash red/green/blue independently and our eyes fuse these colors together to produce the color and brightness intended. In other words, each color is flashed in varying sections of the screen for varying periods of time and our eyes will produce color and brightness mixtures, similar to how videos work, when they're really just a series of still images.
    I believe they're already doing this at a pretty high refresh rate, but if the image in question contains a high luminosity mixture of all two or more colors, color separation can occur in fast movement where the location of one color is now separate from the location of the second color (with respect to the eye's focus), and so the fusing doesn't occur.
    With more powerful hardware this may be overcome, or so I assume. I have not studied wave guide displays all that much myself, so I don't know if there are any inherent limitations to the refresh rate.