Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Error: DEP2100: Cannot Copy the File, The filename is incorrect

I successfully pushed a build from Unity to VS to the Hololens earlier today. Then I made a new project and tried to deploy it but I got the above error. The full text is:

Error DEP2100 : Cannot copy the file "E:\Filename.exe" to the target machine "127.0.0.1". 
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007B)

I tried re-deploying the app that worked earlier, it now generates the above error.
I have tried:

• Deleting and re-generating the VS project from Unity
  • Restarting the Hololens and my dev machine
  • Checking the 'Uninstall my app and reinstall' under Project Properties > Debug
  • Deploying using Remote Machine and Device over USB (same issue in both places)

It deploys fine in the emulator. Any ideas?

Director of Innovation, Helios Interactive

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

@momothemonster have you tried uninstalling the previous version of the app from the HoloLens and then redeploying?

One other thing you might try is to switch between Release to Debug and redeploying, or alternatively the other direction.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

@HoloSheep - thanks for the reply. The app does not appear to be installed on the HoloLens, so there is nothing for me to delete. I did turn on the "Uninstall and then re-install my package" flag in Debug settings, but that did not help. I've tried switching from Release to Debug, but that did not fix it.

• Options

@momothemonster,
    Is your application currently running on the HoloLens?

Try either rebooting the device or use the Windows Device Portal's Apps page to close the application.

Thanks!
    David

• Options

@DavidKlineMS - the app has never been successfully installed on the HoloLens, so it is not running. As stated above, I restarted my HoloLens and my development machine, that did not help. I also checked in the Windows Device Portal's Apps page, but it is not running.

• Options

Just to verify, you are building for the Windows 10 Store:

I have seen some cryptic error messages when the code in the project has prevented the app from starting, or causes the app to crash at startup. Can you deploy one of our Academy projects successfully, or sanity check your project by sideloading the appx package? Go through this process to create the package:

• Options
    edited June 2016

Yes, I can create an app package and sideload it with this method, it works without issue.

However, I have the same problem trying to directly deploy an app from the Academy GitHub.

• Options

Can you confirm a few things:

1. Are you using the "Device" option in Visual studio when deploying over USB? (not 127.0.0.1 in Remote Machine)

2. Under your project properties, in the Debug tab, are you using the "Universal (Unencrypted Protocol)" authentication mode when deploying to your HoloLens' IP over "Remote Machine"?

3. Are you using VS 2015 Update 2 or 3?

• Options
    1. Yes, I am using the "Device" option when deploying over USB.
    2. Yes, I am using "Universal (Unencrypted Protocol)" as opposed to "Windows" or "None"
    3. I am using Update 2 as recommended on the "Install the Tools" page.
      Thanks!

• Options

Can you try deploying a blank C++ HoloLens template, to see if it is an issue with the VS deploy or the Unity package?

• Options

I get the same error with a blank C++ Holographic App Template.
    Another bit of information - my colleague next to me can properly deploy to this Hololens from his install of VS.

• Options

@momothemonster have you tried running a Repair on Visual Studio?

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options
    edited June 2016

I just ran a repair, then restarted, the same issue is present. Downloading and installing the latest updates now (VS Update 3, Tools for UWP Apps 1.4, etc.)

• Options
    ZefalconZefalcon
    edited June 2016

I'm getting the same errors and haven't had any luck fixing it.
    Edit: I can deploy to the emulator just fine; it's just the lens itself that's having issues.

• Options

Thanks! Worked like a charm.

• Options

The same error occurred to me after installing a prompted Windows update on the device. It is solved by updating to VS Update 3 and UWP tool 1.4.