Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Blender imported 3D not working

RazerRazer
edited June 2016 in Questions And Answers

Hi,

Is there anyone experiencing the problem when you import a 3D model from outside such as Blender, you get a transparent model in Unity? I swap the unity built-in cube with the customized 3D model, but I can no longer tap it... Any specific components should be attached to that object? any idea? Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Did you attach a mesh collider?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options
    JacksonJackson mod
    edited June 2016

If you are using the GestureManager from the holotoolkit:
    https://github.com/Microsoft/HoloToolkit-Unity/blob/master/Assets/HoloToolkit/Input/Scripts/GestureManager.cs

You will notice the TappedEvent has the line:
    focusedObject.SendMessage("OnSelect");

You will need a script on the object you want to interact with that has a function:
    void OnSelect() { }
    This will be called when you tap while looking at your hologram.

If you want your hologram to be transparent:
    Add a shader to the model that supports transparency. I would start with HoloToolkit/Vertex Lit Configurable and play around with the Blend State of the shader in the Inspector. (this can be used to make the hologram transparent or opaque)

• Options

@Patrick Yes, I added mesh collide for that, but it doesn't work. ..

• Options

k, next up is Jackson's thought that a script with OnSelect hasn't been added.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

• Options

I had the same problem when i tried the demo file flowerpot from the academy tutorials.

• Options

@Patrick It's added already actually.

• Options

@Patrick Problem solved, Thanks:)

• Options

@Patrick one more question...do you know how to change the mesh size?

• Options

Either with the transform scale, or for the fbx file there is a scale you can set while importing.

===

• Options

===

• Options

@Patrick I tried yesterday on this, and I don't know why the mesh comes with the model doesn't work, I have to manually add mesh inside mesh collider to make it tappable. In some sense, it works, however, if I choose the mesh, it was way smaller than the 3D model I imported. Which means, you have less area for user to interact, and also, because the mesh is inside my model, the gaze will response to that small mesh surface, and disappear. Any solutions?

• Options

Did you try the 'generate colliders' box in the import settings? I just tried with a couple of models, and the colliders look reasonable.

===

• Options

@Patrick Yes....I am gonna create an empty project to test...

• Options

okay, I tried on my end exporting the default cube from blender and it seems to be making an okay collider.

===