Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Anyone getting nauseous or dizzy?

I know your not supposed to from the HoloLens, but I am getting a little nauseous. Are there any frame rate settings that can be modified? My wife tried it too, and she is not getting nauseous, only I am. I wear glasses an and she doesn't, so perhaps that is contributing. Anyway, curious if anyone else is experiencing this, and if there is anything I can do.

Answers

• Options
    AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear... Have you set your IPD value properly
    I found that the build-in IPD calculator is not the most accurate thing. If you are wearing glasses, maybe you know your number from your optometrist? I've also built a tool to calculate it, it's a bit gimmiky but worked better than the built in one. You can find it on gitHub

I haven't heard or seen anyone getting sick so far though.

• Options

Haven't felt sick in the last three months or so using it. (For VR Felt dizzy with some cheapo VR headsets on an iPhone where there was a lot of motion, and definitely feels unpleasant on HTC Vive when get some stutter from messing around with overclocking too much..)

I think the frame rate drops 1/2 when filming mixed reality, so that's generally the main times I've felt briefly uncomfortable with some of the apps I've been creating and get discontinuities. But more annoyed than sick feeling.

• Options

I had vertigo for 2 days because I tried to watch a movie while riding in the back of my RV(wife was driving). The tracking was horrible. Kept jumping even in limited mode. and when I took it off I almost got sick. I felt that way an entire 2 days after. Now I use it fine with no problems.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

I get motion sick at the drop of a hat and have yet to experience any motion sickness with the Hololens. I am also a glasses wearer, though my prescription isn't too bad. My best guess would also be the IPD value. If it's set wrong it can cause a conflict of depth queues, which may cause nausea in some.

• Options

Not sure what was going on the first few times I used it, but since, I have had no problems at all. First 2-3 times, I felt sick, but I have been fine since. Thanks guys.

• Options
    edited July 2016

I get motion sick in real life and in Vr after an hour or so. While I have not had this happen on the holo I have noticed if it's too tight on your nasal passage this could through off your sinuses. Which could in turn make you a bit nauseous.

That's probably my number one complaint is the weight on the front of the device. Also it's hard to eat if you are wearing it. (Real life problems)

• Options

I did adjust the way I am wearing it now, vs. the first time, so its certainly possible that the way I had it on my head the first time caused or at least contributed to the problem.

• Options

@imagineholos said:
    I get motion sick in real life and in Vr after an hour or so. While I have not had this happen on the holo I have noticed if it's too tight on your nasal passage this could through off your sinuses. Which could in turn make you a bit nauseous.

That's probably my number one complaint is the weight on the front of the device. Also it's hard to eat if you are wearing it. (Real life problems)

Have you tried the overhead strap (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12632/hololens-fit-your-hololens, video 0:55)? With the strap my HoloLens doesn't rest on my nose at all.

• Options

Personally I use it all the time and sometimes have issue. I really think this is a rare case. I enjoy holo way more.