Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Anyone running this on a W10 preview build

As you can see if you look at my previous posts, I've had no end of trouble running either the emulator or debugging a project on the device. However, this work was all done on my workstation which is running the latest OS build from the Fast Ring (currently 143873). Ditto attempts on a Surface Pro 4, usually I get the DEP6100 error and something mismatched versions between manifests and registered libraries.

I recently got a stock Win10 Thinkpad P70, and it works just fine for Hololens development.

So my question is, dare we do the Anniversary update on August 2nd if no preview build is able to build to Hololens??

Is anyone able to work with a preview build currently?

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@cvcolomb
    I am running w10 Build 14372 on the SLOW build. There were a lot of troubleshooting DEP6100 tips in threads.
    Last problems were in Win 10 Build 14316 which I bypassed
    https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/340/windows-10-build-14316-has-problems-with-hololens-emulator#latest

Useful thread at
    https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/238/dep6100-the-following-unexpected-error-occurred-during-bootstrapping-stage.

Many people are using Surface Pro 4.
    I have a custom PC, CPU I5, 8GB, NVidia GT750. I am connected by Ethernet for fibre broadband, so wireless issues other people speak of don't affect me.

My tablet on Build 14372 is suffering big problems with Realtek wireless drop out, hopefully they will fix this soon.

I admit I gave up on the wireless connection using the HoloLens Emulator and manually switched to the Ethernet in Hyper-V Manager.

This is wireless routing is really difficult if you are lucky enough to have a HoloLens Device because its only wireless. USB is cable connection.

• Options

Thanks for the links Jimbohalo, none of those steps resolved my issue although uninstalling the HyperV adapters did give me a different error; I think I'll call that progress ;-]

Trying the emulator gives a slightly different error, but trying to connect to the device still gives:

Error DEP6100 : The following unexpected error occurred during bootstrapping stage 'Connecting to the device '192.168.1.25'.':
    FileLoadException - Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Tools.Connectivity, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) hsbShareHolo IntelliSense

It would appear that I could edit the assembly reference to match the one on my machine, but I'm not clear on where that reference is.

• Options
    edited July 2016

@cvcolomb The NuGet libraries need updating. Right click on the Solution e.g. ModelExplorer(Universal Windows)-> Manage NuGet make sure this shows correct libraries installed.

I have found in pass that doing Clean Build then
    "Master,x86,HoloLens Emulator" build works, because Master build will find and update missing or conflicting libraries.
    Sometimes you have to go back to Unity and build in sub new directory like AppDebug and then use "Master,x86,HoloLens Emulator"
    first time round then use "Release,x86,HoloLens Emulator"

The second thing worth trying is start the HoloLens Emulator from the Administrator Command Line.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\10.0.14342.0\XDE.exe" /name "HoloLens Emulator 10.0.14342.1018.YOURUSERNAME" /displayName "HoloLens Emulator 10.0.14342.1018" /vhd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Emulation\HoloLens\10.0.14342.1018\flash.vhd" /video "1268x720" /memsize 2048 /language 409 /creatediffdisk "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XDE\10.0.14342.1018\dd.1268x720.2048.vhd" /fastShutdown /sku HDE

Paste into Notepad. Clearly the YOURUSERNAME needs to be replaced with name of the path to your user directory (like Jimbo). Takes about 180 seconds to start. When started click the Globe-World icon on the right to open the Windows Device Portal in the Desktop Edge browser. Now check the network settings an App setting from left hand menu. When you successfully deploy an app to HoloLens Emulator from vs2015 it will be seen in this list

Look at the Windows Firewall settings as shown below make sure all the apps are registered

Especially XDE and Visual Studio :)

• Options

@Jimbohalo10 Thanks very much for your time on this, but after trying all these steps I'm still not able to run the emulator.

Nuget showed only ApplicationInsights packages as being out of date, so I updated those.

Doing the various Clean and Rebuild steps I now get these errors:

Error: Windows Runtime metadata is invalid in Windows SDK, follow the steps in http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=733341 to repair your installation.

The repair is basically going into the control panel and running Repair from the Rt-click menu, still get the same error. I also get this on Master Build:

Error ILT0005: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.NetNative\x86\ilc\tools\Gatekeeper.exe @X:\BitBucket\HsbHololens\App\hsbShareHolo\obj\x86\Master\ilc\intermediate\gkargs.rsp' returned exit code 1

Running your recommended Admin Command line with my username inserted the emulator starts but gives this error:

I also didn't find XDE.exe or XDECleanup.exe in the Firewall rules, but adding new rules to allow them on incoming still throws this error.

Are there Outgoing rules required for this as well?

I uninstalled and re-installed the Emulator, no change.

Next I'll do the same with the SDk, cross your fingers please ;-/

• Options
    edited July 2016

@cvcolomb The Toolset libraries may have been deprecated as of 29th June for Visual Studio 2015 update 2 , because of Update 3 being available. Something strange happened to VS and got better when I loaded updates.

So Control Panel -> uninstall programs -> Visual Studio 2015 -> right click and select Change. Select options as in picture and Select update in Administrator

BTW do you have any Internet Security programs like MacAfee Internet firewall, Norton Internet Security, even AVG Internet Security or Zone Alarm. Any firewall blocking software preventing/replacing Windows Firewall will cause problems. I have heard that company proxy firewall can cause problems, as they don't recognise Windows 10 as the wont allow outgoing connection via programs not registered.

Check out this answered problem How to fix HoloLens emulator connectivity issues?