Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Unity fails to build solution

tcossairttcossairt
edited July 2016 in Questions And Answers

I've followed all the normal steps from the website to do a simple build from Unity, but when I try to build the solution from Unity I get a Win32exception and nothing is built:

Win32Exception: ApplicationName='C:\Program Files\Unity HoloLens 5.4.0b24-HTP\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\MetroSupport\Tools\SerializationWeaver\SerializationWeaver.exe', CommandLine='"Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll" -pdb -verbose -unity-engine="Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll"
"Temp\StagingArea\TempSerializationWeaver" -lock=UWP\project.lock.json -
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_noshell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process)
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process)
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start ()
(wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process:Start ()
UnityEditor.Utils.Program.Start () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Utils/Program.cs:33)
Utility.RunAndWait (System.String fileName, System.String arguments, System.String& result) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WinRT/SharedSources/CSharp/Utility.cs:220)
PostProcessWinRT.RunSerializationWeaver () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WinRT/SharedSources/CSharp/PostProcessWinRT.cs:463)
PostProcessWinRT.Process () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WinRT/SharedSources/CSharp/PostProcessWinRT.cs:123)
UnityEditor.Metro.BuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ExtensionModule.cs:130)
UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, Int32 width, Int32 height, System.String downloadWebplayerUrl, System.String manualDownloadWebplayerUrl, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.BuildReporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:176)
UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

I have a Intel 6700K processor on a ASUS LGA1151 DDR4 DisplayPort HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini-ITX Motherboard Z170I PRO GAMING

Tagged:

Answers

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@tcossairt
    Hi known bugs have been found where the path names must be less than 20 characters . "c:\unityB24\holo210\" would work because it does not contain any spaces and less than 20 characters. Serializationweaver.exe bug has been reported, but NO timescales for fix. You cannot run Win32 Local Machine HoloLens apps.
    You need "Release,x86,Device" in VS 2015 for the HoloLens headset and "Debug,X86, HoloLens Emulator" for a Hyper-V enabled computer
    In Unity Build you must select Windows Store application as the type of build, XAML, Universal C# as the options
    See tutorial https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/833/tutorial-debugging-with-holograms-211-with-update-code-library#latest

• @tcossairt to add to @Jimbohalo10 good advice, here is an older post that also summarizes some of the things to watch for.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• I've moved my Unity Hololens to a shorter pathname (not the default under ProgramvFiles, changed to XAML instead of D3D, and still getting the same error. Note that this is before any Visual Studio solution is built by Unity so I'm not even to the step where I can adjust the type of build Visual Studio will deploy to. This is using the latest Hololens specific Unity build and VS Studio Update 3. Hmm....

• Ok interesting, the version of Unity Hololens I installed (64 bit) placed a 0 byte exe of SerializationWeaver in the one folder and did not place it at all under the Metro folder. Copying over from my old Unity installed created a solution I can open, but now I'm getting errors about:

Metadata file 'C:\HL\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\bin\x86\Release\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll' could not be found

Indeed that dll is not in those folders, but under a subfolder in there called "Unprocessed". Whats going on?

• @tcossairt after installing the latest Unity beta HTP, did you also install the UWP Runtime from the Unity site that goes with the HTP?

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• This my work account but I did figure it out:

SerializationWeaver.exe was being incorrectly installed during the fresh install of Hololen's Unity 64 bit (beta 24 I think?). Under the main Editor/Data install folder it was of size 0, and it was completely missing under the Metro plugin folder where the build expects it to be. I certainly did not go into those folders so no idea who/what would have done this outside the normal installer.

When I installed the 32 bit version, everything is now fine?