Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How likely are you to recommend the Windows Holographic documentation to a friend or colleague?

JayAbJayAb admin
edited March 2016 in Questions And Answers

How likely are you to recommend the Windows Holographic documentation to a friend or colleague? 51 votes

1 - Not at all likely
9% 5 votes
7% 4 votes
1% 1 vote
1% 1 vote
13% 7 votes
1% 1 vote
1% 1 vote
9% 5 votes
3% 2 votes
10 - Extremely likely
47% 24 votes

Comments

• Options

At this point, not at all likely. The documentation that's available publicly consists of a few vague pages and some programming walkthroughs that may or may not work if you can find the right bits. As for what you just posted, it's an internal server not accessible to proles like me.

• Options

@DougF said:
    As for what you just posted, it's an internal server not accessible to proles like me.

My bad, the domain is publicly registered and managed by Microsoft's servers. I first checked on Microsoft-test.com. It's just that devx.microsoft-tst.com doesn't point to anything in DNS.

• Options
    DanglingNeuronDanglingNeuron ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

Will recommend because its the only source right now. However, the structure is somewhat clunky. I had to make a list of all pages/links (child links) to ensure I don't miss any and still stay on path.
    Content is good but only on an initial introduction level. Of course later on we will see more detailed concepts, code snippets, and full examples. I will be starting my own tutorial series once the emulator is available.
    It also doesn't help that neither the Unity version with HoloLens support - nor the HoloLens emulator is available with the documentation.

Missing Content: there are several instances of something like this - [[File:SR MixedWorld 140429 8pm 00068.png|thumb|upright=.5|alt=Example of scanning|Example of scanning a room]]

Healthcare IT professional by day - Indie GameDev for UWP and mobile platforms by night

• Options
    james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

As long as it's the only source of information about developing for HoloLens, there's nothing else to recommend. It could be extremely good or extremely bad and it wouldn't matter since its the only game in town.

That said, I think the documentation is pretty good. The overlapping coverage between docs, samples and videos is great and lets people learn in whatever way is best for them.

There's also a good deal of insight into designing for AR spread throughout the instructional material that is amazing when you discover it.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options
    BryanBryan ✭✭✭
    The one thing I'd like to see is a more complete single-page index to scan. Some subjects are hard to find again since they're not listed on the root index page.
  • Options

My main problem is the pages are not linked at the bottom to either go back to home page or go to the next topic on the list. Currently you need to use the back page of your browser

• Options

@Jimbohalo10 true. You have to pogo-stick to navigate through the docs. That's been a web architecture no-no since about 2006. The peer-to-peer navigation should really just show up on the sidebar or something.

James Ashley

• Options

@DanglingNeuron said:
    Missing Content: there are several instances of something like this - [[File:SR MixedWorld 140429 8pm 00068.png|thumb|upright=.5|alt=Example of scanning|Example of scanning a room]]

Thanks for noting this problem. It has now been fixed.

• Options

@Jimbohalo10 said:
    My main problem is the pages are not linked at the bottom to either go back to home page or go to the next topic on the list. Currently you need to use the back page of your browser

This is helpful feedback. We'll spend more time adding additional "See also" links. We're intentionally not creating a topological sort structure of the content -- there is no TOC. Instead, it's just like Wikipedia -- related content is linked where appropriate.

• Options
    BryanBryan ✭✭✭

@Brandon said:

@Jimbohalo10 said:

...We're intentionally not creating a topological sort structure of the content -- there is no TOC...

I'd vote for creating a TOC, even if it doesn't have a full topological sort structure. At this point I have no idea if I've read everything, or if I forever skipped over something hidden under one of the links I held off on clicking while reading the rest of the page the link was on.

• Options

Isn't this basically a TOC?

I think the docs do have a topological structure as well as a TOC but for whatever reason you aren't acknowledging that you do. This is causing both web architecture issues as well as user confusion.

Also the topics are long so the cross-linking gets confusing. Instead of going to another page when I click on a key word, I just get taken to an anchor in the same page (this especially happens in the Spatial Mapping article). Again, the confusion occurs, I think, because the docs don't fully commit to being either one thing or the other -- topological or hyper-textual.

James Ashley

• Options

Back when I was a kid, I read all of Encarta. So I totally get the achievement desire to read everything. For a few reasons, I just haven't found the time to read all of Wikipedia these days.

In the modern experience, people reach content primarily through search and secondly through topic pages, e.g. portals. Wikipedia is exactly like this. Real TOCs rarely exist, and most everything that looks like a TOC usually falls into decay. The documentation page is a portal page -- it's organized for getting you started in the right place.

Not everyone is motivated to read every page, but for you I've posted a list of all the pages as of now to facilitate your desire.

• Options

Lol. Okay. You obviously know more about how people want to read documentation than we do, @Brandon. Thanks for the feedback.

James Ashley

• Options

@james_ashley Happy to help, and we do appreciate the feedback. We're making updates to the documentation all the time based on the questions. And we may reference Wikipedia a lot... the infrastructure we're using is based on MediaWiki.

• Options
    BryanBryan ✭✭✭

@Brandon said:
    Not everyone is motivated to read every page, but for you I've posted a list of all the pages as of now to facilitate your desire.

Awesome! Thanks, @Brandon !

• Options

I'm deaf and passionate about mixed reality. Unfortunately, videos such as these:
    https://dev.windows.com/en-us/holographic/academy

has no captions (auto captions are inaccurate, so they're no good). Could you add English captions on them?

Otherwise as a developer I have much trouble getting started developing for HoloLens, but I really want to develop for it.

• Options

The DESIGN documentation provided (mainly the HCI guidelines) has been incredibly useful. I've shared this with fellow interaction designers and the content really gets at the core of what it takes to make great hololens experiences. Whoever wrote these is awesome, thank you!

The only comment I have is that the findability is low (until all academy articles are indexed). Saying, 'go to the main docs page' isn't enough for my less passionate friends. I've had to circulate a LONG list of URL's and highlight the good ones (Gaze, Gesture Voice, Spatial Mapping Design, etc).

I was also able to find a few orphaned articles (mainly the academy ones) by using the footer links, so thanks for these. I think some folks might think the documentation dead ends at certain stops when actually there are additional articles linked elsewhere that go into more depth.

Lastly, it's really interesting to see where VR has informed the hololens HCI guidelines. There are also places where hololens had to tackle problems that are not found in non-additive VR like designing for spatial mapping UX. However, some practices are applicable to VR, but haven't made their way back into that community yet. For instance scaling a gaze driven cursor based on depth or using cursor states to provide gesture readiness feedback. Hopefully the cross functional info will become less siloed when more devkits are in the wild.

• Options

I have read https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/all_pages.
    What may be good is to put a link to the page as "Windows Holographic Complete Index" with the link to https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/all_pages at the bottom of the previously discussed
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/documentation
    page.
    Thanks

• Options

@marty80 said:
    I'm deaf and passionate about mixed reality. Unfortunately, videos such as these:
    https://dev.windows.com/en-us/holographic/academy

has no captions (auto captions are inaccurate, so they're no good). Could you add English captions on them?

Otherwise as a developer I have much trouble getting started developing for HoloLens, but I really want to develop for it.

This is GREAT feedback. We're looking into this now.

• Options

The Holograms 101E tutorial desperately needs an update. Have someone start fresh (not on a machine that was used to create the tutorial) and you'll easily find the problems.

First, the version of Unity3D (5.4.0b10-HTP) that the Hololens docs point to (it should be 5.4.0b10), which forces you to import the Origami project in an unsupported mode.

Then after importing Origami and following the tutorial, it wont compile (SpacialMapping.cs is trying to use an event handler that doesnt exist, which cascades into other files that require SpacialMapping.cs). There are several other placers where it won't compile when Building for VS export (Fitbox.cs is one)

Lance

Microsoft MVP - Windows Development
    More about me and my credentials

• Options

I think the installation instructions could use a bit of work and should bring the reader to the point of having built and run a working Hololens project in the emulator OR an actual device (I would love one of those!!! So sad that I am wave 4).

After struggling for a week, here are my instructions from installation to completing the build of Galaxy Explorer and successful deploy. (http://forums.hololens.com/discussion/387/finally-got-a-working-galaxy-explorer-demo-here-is-my-full-instructions#latest)

• Matt Larson
  • Options

Not likely because we're beyond Q1 and many of us in wave 1 are still waiting for email with ability to order our dev kits.

• Options

@elmer said:
    Not likely because we're beyond Q1 and many of us in wave 1 are still waiting for email with ability to order our dev kits.

I think they only started shipping wave 1 folks 14 days ago (March 30th). Considering they're shipping them out as they're made, I don't think they're doing too bad. Though, I'm with you, I'm wave 2 and can't wait to get my hands on it, I have some interesting ideas, but patience my friend ;-)