Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Set static room for tracking?

AWarrenAWarren
edited July 2016 in Questions And Answers

I have a small room where I want to use the Hololens. In this room, several people will be standing around having a discussion.

In my first test I found that since those people stand still for a while and then will walk around the Hololens tracking becomes very confused since what it thought was a static object is now a moving human.

Is there a way to scan the room prior to people coming in and force the Hololens to use that for tracking? I know you can do that for object placement like in Young Conker or Fragments but this seems to be a different issue since it involves camera placement in real time not just virtual object placement.

Edit: Not sure why this posted in Discussions and not in Questions.

Answers

• Options

Moved here, from Discussions, per @AWarren's edit comment.

• Options
    ahillierahillier mod
    edited July 2016

Hi @AWarren,
    You can certainly use the Spatial Mapping data without accepting updates. The typical approach (like Conker, RoboRaid, and Fragments), is to give the user a bit of time to scan the environment first (this is when you have everyone else leave the room), and when they're ready to proceed, simply stop accepting updates from the SurfaceObserver. We show how to do this in the Spatial Mapping course, although we don't require people to leave the room in that class, it is a good practice.

• Options

Thanks @ahillier What I wasnt clear on is if that helps with tracking or just with real time placement and interaction of objects within your app since I know you can still use the Hololens without the Spatial Mapping prefab in your scene. I will try it out to see if it yields better results.

Thanks!

• Options

Hey @AWarren,
    Spatial Mapping and tracking are different features. Tracking is always on, so your holograms will stay where you place them whether or not you are using Spatial Mapping in your app. The benefit of using Spatial Mapping is that you can place your objects on real-world surfaces, such as tables, floors, walls, etc. If you only need it for hologram placement (and not occlusion or physics), then you can simply disable the SpatialMapping object in your scene when the user is no longer in 'placement' mode.

• Options

Ok thanks. Thats what I thought. So it sounds like there is no way to tell the tracking to not use these somewhat static humans for tracking then. Sounds like the best course of action is to try to keep the area in front of whoever is wearing the hololens clear of other people in this situation.