Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Developing for HoloLens

I am trying to work out how to Develop for the HoloLens. I am trying to make Apps, but I have no way of testing them as I don't have a device. I can't afford 3,000 dollars for one. I also can not afford Windows 10 Pro, so I can't use the Emulator.

Any ideas, or am I just out of luck?
Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• I would also like to add that I am not old enough to work in my State. So please don't tell me to get a job.

• sptspt ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Ok, I'll give you a challenge.

Get the latest Unity 3D editor/engine. Then go to Mixamo.com (create account) and create an character with a bunch of different animations, and download the FBX files for the model and its animations.

Then, make a Unity program and import that FBX and its animations and make a script so that it displays a list of its animations using the Animator and Controller objects (aka Mecanim). Make it so that when you press play, you can click on the name of each animation and see the character do the appropriate animation. Do this by getting the names from the object, not typing them into Unity (so it would work with any FBX you make). [the last part is tricky]

It took me 2 days to get this working. How long will it take you?

Once you are able to do this without someone holding your hand, you will be a long way towards being able to make something cool when you get a Hololens.

• I would also like to add that I am not old enough to work in my State. So please don't tell me to get a job.

• @spt said:

Get the latest Unity 3D editor/engine. Then go to Mixamo.com (create account) and create an character with a bunch of different animations, and download the FBX files for the model and its animations.

Then, make a Unity program and import that FBX and its animations and make a script so that it displays a list of its animations using the Animator and Controller objects (aka Mecanim). Make it so that when you press play, you can click on the name of each animation and see the character do the appropriate animation. Do this by getting the names from the object, not typing them into Unity (so it would work with any FBX you make). [the last part is tricky]

Once you are able to do this without someone holding your hand, you will be a long way towards being able to make something cool when you get a Hololens.

@spt said:

You don't understand. I have no way of knowing if it works or not, because I can't use the Emulator (I can't afford Windows 10 Pro, or Edu), and I obviously can't afford an actual Device.

• sptspt ✭✭

Yeah, I know. But you can get models set up and animating in Unity. You don't need the emulator. In fact, the emulator sort of sucks. I used it to do the hololens 101 example where you just copy from a video to learn the basics of hololens, but its not very good for designing your own stuff. So you can just use any computer to do this.
    The time consuming part is getting assets together and making them work seamlessly. You can do this now and learn the ropes of Unity and C#.
    The main thing to keep in mind is that the space your models are going to be is unknown, so you don't want to plan for things that move around very much since they will be seen in the living room.

Yes at some point you will want access to windows pro so you can do the tutorial in the emulator, but there is no rush. It will be some time yet before the cost of the hololens comes down to an affordable place, so you will probably want to start inquiring about computer clubs or local colleges that might get one you can try.

• @Cleinad911 - Where are you located. There might be other devs around that might let you deploy and test on their devices. I know I have offered that up in my area.

• sptspt ✭✭

Well, lucky for me, my Father is going to have me go in to the local College and try out a real device. :)

nice!