Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

StreamSocketListener problems on real device

Hi,

I'm using a StreamSocketListener to listen for incoming TCP connections in a 2D UWP app. This works absolutely fine when running the app on the local computer and it also works fine in the HoloLens emulator. However, I'm unable to make connections to the real HoloLens device.
I'm broadcasting the TCP port using UDP into the network and I can see the messages from the device, so it's not an issue of the network itself. The device also has internet access.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Is your project simple enough to share?

front line triage:
    1. have you enabled the internetclientserver and privatenetworkclientserver capabilities?
    2. Does everything work fine from a PC on wifi?
    3. Have you run the app under the debugger on the HoloLens to see if the debugger output has a clue?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Hi Patrick,

thanks for your prompt reply. I'll see if I can simplify the project enough to be able to share it.

1. Yes, both capabilities are enabled.
    2. The PC is on a wired connection, it works there, but I can't test it with WiFi
    3. No output that indicates a problem. I tried different ports with no success. I did try port 80 once, which then caused an exception. So that works at least.
  • MongrelMongrel
    edited August 2016

Hi,

I have created sample projects illustrating the problem. I also reversed the whole connection process (listen for UDP broadcast on the HoloLens, trying outbound TCP connection), but I was unable to receive the UDP broadcast on the device. Again, everything works fine on the PC and emulator.
    Therefore, I assume, that the device drops the packets for some reason. Is there a configurable firewall on the HoloLens?

Regarding the sample projects: If you point to a place where I could upload them, that would be nice.

• Sometimes I think there is a secret electronics union. I'm waiting for Pixar to make a movie about it.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)