Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Cursor support in DirectX (C++)

MarcDubMarcDub ✭✭
edited August 2016 in Questions And Answers

Is there any support/API to create the standard Cursor (dot / torus) in a DirectX/C++ application on the Hololens?

Also, is there any example, demo, or API to calculate the intersection of the gaze (user head direction) with the environment surface mesh? I know how to get gaze and surface mapping.

Best Answer

• Options
    PatrickPatrick mod
    Answer ✓

There's no API to create a cursor in DX. You'll be going down the path of creating vertexbuffers, indexbuffers, creating and setting shaders with their constant buffers, all the DX fun. :)

AFAIK there isn't a sample that shows how to do raycast against the mesh. The documentation alludes to passing the mesh to a physics system like Havok, but doesn't have a concrete example. In the past I've heard tales of success with Bullet physics, but I've not done this myself.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

Answers

• Options
    PatrickPatrick mod
    Answer ✓

There's no API to create a cursor in DX. You'll be going down the path of creating vertexbuffers, indexbuffers, creating and setting shaders with their constant buffers, all the DX fun. :)

AFAIK there isn't a sample that shows how to do raycast against the mesh. The documentation alludes to passing the mesh to a physics system like Havok, but doesn't have a concrete example. In the past I've heard tales of success with Bullet physics, but I've not done this myself.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

Thanks. I wanted to be sure before going down the rabbit hole.

• Options

@MarcDub said:
    Thanks. I wanted to be sure before going down the rabbit hole.

Hi MarcDub,
    have you found something? I want to do something similar.

• Options

@Khronossos : Yes, once you get the hand of creating a mesh in DX, it is pretty straightforward. Creating and displaying meshes in DX is not obvious though. I have moved to using Unity now so that it is not an issue anymore.