Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Vuforia Manual - Working with the Hololens Sample in Unity

Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Discussion

Many people are interested in Vuforia and this manual explains how the Early Beta Release will work. Currently development is done on ANOTHER platform and imported into Unity 5.4 HTP. The manual is attached below to allow for evaluation on development and research. You cannot launch COMMERCIAL apps yet. HoloLens Emulator is not supported, only testing on the HoloLens device. Don't get confused by the UWP version this is something completely different
Search=Vuforia
for all the threads on the beta which is at https://developer.vuforia.com/downloads/beta

Tagged:

Comments

• There is a significant error in this manual on licencing VuMark using Vuforia Licence Manager.

You MUST create a mobile version of licence FIRST or you will spend days, like me, trying to find out why nothing works, to the point of having to delete everything and re-install Unity 5.4f3 all over.

For Unity UWP samples to use VuMark, MUST use a mobile license not a Digital Glasses, the software silently dies!!.

You must create an account to download SDK Vuforia 6 Download from the page "Vuforia 6 - Unity SDK" vuforia-unity-6-0-114.unitypackage (47.90 MB). Double click this to automatically Import ALL with your new Project name and create a new subdirectory for VuMark apps.

Now go to Samples page.

Download Unity samples vuforia-samples-core-unity-6-0-114.zip (563.82 MB) takes over 15 minutes outside USA

Now unzip the package and find the VuMark package
    "VuMark-6-0-114.unitypackage"
    Go to your Unity SDK app, still running, Assets->Import Package->Custom package
    Select "VuMark-6-0-114.unitypackage"

in Unity Project find "Scenes" and load all four scenes in sequence

Next Got to ARCamera Inspector and add your Vuforia MOBILE licence you created into the licence area ( picture is not full licence!)

This link shows how to create a licence at bottom of page How to Build an AR Android App with Vuforia and Unity

Now finally scroll down, click AR Keep camera alive, and click Play and your cheap USB 2.0 will be detected!, even if Unity is not complains about it!!

So for HoloLens do the same as above each App requires a new separate licence.
    for more in depth on licencing in code

New Project "HoloLens" in new subdirectory "Early"
    Early access
    Import custom package HoloLens Unity SDK
    vuforia-unity-6-1-9-earlyaccess.unitypackage (47.86 MB)

Then
    Import custom package HoloLens
    vuforia-samples-hololens-unity-6-1-9-earlyaccess.zip (52.35 MB)

Its a shame there are so many documentation errors, but if things fail, then look at the Android development. Which is where you will have to develop a HoloLens app as you can ONLY run on the HoloLens DEVICE after you compiled this as the PLAYER and EMULATOR at not supported.

Therefore I suggest you develop using my method describe at the top of this post

All the help is here

• I have just tested with the samples in C:\Development\UWP\samples\media namely printing out VuMark99.png in Landscape. Hold the printed page in front of Webcam and it works box appears saying VuMark 99 detected.
    Here is the file for you to print colour/color of course

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

From the manual "Getting Started Developing Vuforia Apps for HoloLens"

The Early Access Vuforia SDK for HoloLens will stop working at the end of the calendar year

The Early Access/Adopter version of Vuforia HoloLens need this patch I have written
    in VuforiaBehaviourComponentFactory.cs to allow VuMark sample to build otherwise the error stops any build

I have not tested VuMark and samples to work on HoloLens. I am just testing the integration with HoloLens software for successful builds.

• Trying to use Vuforia Unity Sample ImageTargets sample as a Windows Store application running on the local machine.

Several significant problems have been found with the WSA Player/Builder for Vuforia 6 and its (Universal Windows) project for WSA, follow usual rules in Unity player make sure you use D3D NOT XAML.

The project name in Unity 5.4f3 is called "VuImageSample"
    1. The Vuforia.dll and VuforiaWrapper.dll are missing as can be seen by the yellow flags in the Visual Studio Solution explorer.
    2. The missing Vuforia.dll and VuforiaWrapper.dll are copied from the Unity Project files path VuImageSample\Assets\Plugins\WSA\x86 as the WSA Builder player does not copy in Plugins, because they are set no copy. Exit Visual Studio 2015
    3. Copy .\VuImageSample\Assets\Plugins\WSA\x86Vuforia.dll and VuforiaWrapper.dll to .\VuImageSample\WSAapp\VuImageSample. Directory WSAapp is the Build directory for the WSA UWP Unity app.
    4. Open the project again by clicking VuImageSample.sln and the yellow flags should have gone for Vuforia.dll and VuforiaWrapper.dll. Delete Vuforia.pdb and VuforiaWrapper.pdb as no debug files exist
    5. Now right click Properties of Vuforia.dll and change from "Don't Copy" to "Copy Always"

1. Now right click Properties of VuforiaWrapper.dll and change to "Copy Always"

In VS 2015 select Debug, x86, Local Machine then Build Solution, Start Debug.
    If you want the project fast, then remember to go into Unity and use performance_recommendations_for_unity

Select Release,x86,Local Machine , Build Solution, and Start without debugging.

This Vuforia Unity app relies on Unity Web Cam code so wont work in the HoloLens Emulator and will need changing to add UnityEngine.VR.WSA.WebCam and the locatable_camera_in_unity

To work on the HoloLens device, therefore use the Unity HoloLens earlier article above, but remember you will still need to add the Vuforia.dll and VuforiaWrapper.dll as just described

• I am trying to get the sample image target scene to work on my hololens. I have set all of the settings correctly according to that manual with the exception of using a mobile device license instead of digital eyewear. I can get the program to start running on my hololens and I see the "made with unity" splash scene, and but then when I look at my printed out stones and chips images, nothing happens!
    When I try running the app in Debug mode rather than Release in VS, I get the following output:

Trackable stones lost

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\artifacts/generated/Metro/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 45)

Trackable chips lost

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\artifacts/generated/Metro/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 45)

'VDemo.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\VDemoVS.Debug_x86.fc\System.Text.RegularExpressions.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'VDemo.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\VDemoVS.Debug_x86.fc\System.Globalization.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
    Vuforia initialization failed

Vuforia initialization failed:

Unloading 1 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 10 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 329. Operation took 32.751339 ms.

System memory in use: 16.6 MB.

The program '[3924] VDemo.exe' has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).

Can someone please give me any tips as I really don't know what to try in order to get this working.

Thank you!

• Hi, I actually just fixed my issue- if any one else is having the same problem, make sure you are using a Digital Eyewear license key instead of mobile device!
    This might seem obvious, but the hololens in not listed in the digital eyewear category on the vuforia website and I have seen some contradicting advice as to which key to use, but the Digital Eyewear key is working for me right now

edited September 2016

@SashaFC Thanks for your reply.
    There is something strange about the licencing system. I have been trying to get the UWP version going with Digital Eyewear and the code was complaining about licence problems and exited so I switched to Mobile, and the app started.

Vuforia should make the documentation clear on HoloLens, maybe even testing this with licences from website, not internal licences. :D

Vuforia should fix the licences detection code to point this out, after all they set flags and code in Unity to detect problems.

Unity has allowed a bug report case to be open on Vuforia 6, alas not the HoloLens version. Unity for 5.4F3 HTP have expressed interest in this however and came back for more information for the HoloLens version problems. Feedback sent to Unity

• Recently there is a new document for Vuforia has been published How to develop augmented reality apps with Vuforia for Windows 10

edited November 2016

Vuforia early support ends Quote from Vuforia Support page

Vuforia for HoloLens
    Vuforia 6.1 is available and includes support for Microsoft HoloLens. Now you can build AR apps for HoloLens that recognize specific images and objects in the environment. To get started, visit the HoloLens developer page and the Vuforia Library.
    Be sure to check out the customer stories in the Vuforia and Microsoft blogs to see how other developers are using HoloLens and Vuforia together.
    Attention Beta Developers:
    If you started your HoloLens development with a Vuforia early access release your apps will stop working on December 31, 2016. Please update to 6.1 as soon as possible.

The first Vuforia supported release on Unity 5.4f3 HTP for HoloLens is inside the download SDK sample vuforia-samples-eyewear-unity-6-1-17.zip
    This is located in the Digital Eyewear section.

The most important fix is that the final Vuforia libraries for HoloLens have been added to into the Scenes Vuforia-2-HoloLens, which you need to double click to set up the AR camera.

This seems to work on Unity version 5.4F3 32bit (x86) and supports the WSA Player Plugins directory

edited November 2016

The Vuforia AR Starter Kit for Unity 6.1 18th November 2016 is available in the Unity Asset store which needs Unity 5.4.1F1 or Unity 5.5b11 beta and its free to download.

Instead of Unity 5.4.0F3 HTP.

It contains the updated VuMark database and many updates to the original with support for WSA built in.

For HoloLens remember to load the tools in sequence as described in
    HoloLens: Install the tools of Vuforia will fail to work with HoloLens

• @Jimbohalo10 said:
    The Vuforia AR Starter Kit for Unity 6.1 18th November 2016 is available in the Unity Asset store which needs Unity 5.4.1F1 or Unity 5.5b11 beta and its free to download.

Instead of Unity 5.4.0F3 HTP.

It contains the updated VuMark database and many updates to the original with support for WSA built in.

For HoloLens remember to load the tools in sequence as described in
    HoloLens: Install the tools of Vuforia will fail to work with HoloLens

Am I understanding correctly that Vuforia 6.1 is not compatible with the version of Unity needed to work with HoloLens?

edited November 2016

The Unity Asset Store version loads and configures everything required. The Asset Store REQUIRES Unity 5.4.2 or higher to download the import, you wont see the download button in 5.4.0F3.

If you want to use 5.4.0.F3 HTP, for a few more weeks then you must download from the Vuforia Download Samples page

namely the file vuforia-samples-core-unity-6-1-17.zip (128.02 MB)

and the Digital Eyewear import
    vuforia-samples-eyewear-unity-6-1-17.zip (155.37 MB)

Then you must follow the installation guide
    Developing Vuforia Apps for HoloLens

This is somewhat time consuming and wasteful as you are probably better to wait for the official update of at least Unity 5.5.1.f1 in HoloToolkit Unity Release Plan, which will support HoloLens and work with the Vuforia Asset Store release