Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

FBX from Navisworks

I am trying to find the easiest way to get an fbx file to become a hologram. I can drop it right into my project and then into my scene, but when I look around I don't see it at all anywhere. Clicking back and forth between the object and the camera causes the display in Unity to jump a little. I feel like it might just be a camera/object placement issue. I'm very new in the 3D world.

Answers

• Options

I had the same thing, and in my case it turned out to be exactly what you guessed. The fbx asset was way off in the distance, which was why I couldn't see it. I ended up having to set my asset to x=-80, y=-110, z=-163. I had a different fbx file that was very close when I dropped it in the scene so only needed to rotate the object. I'm not sure how the 'base location' and orientation of the asset gets determined, but I'm assuming it was done in Navisworks; or whatever CAD application generated the original file.

• Options

Something else to consider is the scale of the object. Since HoloLens in Unity treats 1 unit as 1 meter, models which are built with different scales (like 1 unit equals 1 millimeter) can be absurdly large in the device. Having to set your asset 100+ meters away is a hint that this might be happening to you. :)

What I usually do is put the asset 2-3m away from the camera (the transform position should be set to 0, 0, 2) and then adjust the scale until the object looks about the size I was expecting it.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

This forum is being phased out but hopefully this information will remain for others who may be having the same problem. It may be helpful to understand why this happens and how they could potentially use it to their advantage.

When you export to FBX (and/or some other options) from pretty much any software, by default the pivot is almost always the current "world" XYZ 0,0,0, even if your model is 2 kms away so keep that in mind when exporting.

This is why in most game engines unless there is a plan to put together the scene in the asset creation tool, everything must be moved to the exact center of the world before exported, to facilitate the handling of the object in the engine.

On the other hand, if you have a predetermined layout in your asset creation tool, (i.e. Revit, or 3dsmax) this convention could really help place everything exactly where it should be. Simply by making sure everything is aligned to XYZ 0,0,0

This second method is super convenient, but may not be great for performance without special processing of the assets during import to Unity and/or export from your asset creation tool. (Some tools support Instancing export, others don't) But this is an entirely different topic.