Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Errors in Holo DirectX project

Hi, i installed the hololens dev kit this morning. But when i try to compile a holographic directx app i get all kinds of errors in the files d2d1_1.h and d2d1_1helper.h.

These are some of the errors(there were 450 in total):

syntax error: missing ';' before identifier 'D2D1_VECTOR_4F' c:\program files (x86)\windows kits\10\include\10.0.14393.0\um\d2d1_1.h

the modifier "__forceinline" is not allowed on this declaration HoloEngine c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.14393.0\um\d2d1_1helper.h

syntax error: 'public" c:\program files (x86)\windows kits\10\include\10.0.14393.0\um\d2d1_1.h

invalid specifier outside a class declaration c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.14393.0\um\d2d1_1.h

What`s going on?

Answers

• Hi @scottyaim,
    If you're using the latest emulator tools (10.0.14393.0) you might also need to update Visual Studio to use the latest Windows 10 SDK (1.4.1):
    1) Open Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
    2) Right-click on Visual Studio > Change > Modify
    3) Under Features, find the 'Universal Windows App Development Tools' section
    4) Verify that 'Tools (1.4.1) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.14393)' is checked.

• scottyaimscottyaim
    edited September 2016

@ahillier said:
    Hi @scottyaim,
    If you're using the latest emulator tools (10.0.14393.0) you might also need to update Visual Studio to use the latest Windows 10 SDK (1.4.1):
    1) Open Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
    2) Right-click on Visual Studio > Change > Modify
    3) Under Features, find the 'Universal Windows App Development Tools' section
    4) Verify that 'Tools (1.4.1) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.14393)' is checked.

Thanks for the fast response but the errors are still here.
    I`m using the anniversary build of windows by the way. Could that be the problem?

• edited September 2016

Check your project settings, here's an example of mine:

There has to be a misconfiguration in your project settings, or you're using Visual Studio 2012/13

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• Hi @scottyaim,
    I'm also using the Anniversary version of Windows 10, so I don't think that's the problem. @Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP has a good suggestion though. You should be able to reset the min/max targets of your project to support the SDK installed on your machine.

• scottyaimscottyaim
    edited September 2016

@Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP said:
    Check your project settings, here's an example of mine:

There has to be a misconfiguration in your project settings, or you're using Visual Studio 2012/13

Thanks but it is still not working. Could it be that i still got the old direct sdk installed?

• Yes it possible, however you're failing to compile on DirectX libraries. Can you provide a little more information about your build environment? What editions of VS.Net are you using :2015, Pro, Ultimate, Express etc.

What Windows SDK build do you have installed?

Do you have VS.Net 2013 installed as well? Can you build a DirectX UWP application (Just disregard the Hololens project template) what about a UWP Direct X app?

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer

• @Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP said:
    Yes it possible, however you're failing to compile on DirectX libraries. Can you provide a little more information about your build environment? What editions of VS.Net are you using :2015, Pro, Ultimate, Express etc.

What Windows SDK build do you have installed?

Do you have VS.Net 2013 installed as well? Can you build a DirectX UWP application (Just disregard the Hololens project template) what about a UWP Direct X app?

I am using Visual Studio 2015 Update 3.
    I have two Windows 10 SDKs. 10.0.14393.0 and 10.0.10586.0.

I created a UWP Direct X app but it only compiles to x64. When i try x86 i get the same problems that i had with the holo app.

So i am guessing that Direct X is miss configured for x86 maybe?

• I'm thinking you must have an old DirectX or Windows SDK installed which is interfering with this some kind of way. Do you build Windows Phone apps for Windows 8/8.1 mobile? Obviously your x86 settings are pointing to some paths which include or don't include the proper header files, or your project compiler switch settings are fubar.

Can you post your command line settings for your project here? Maybe it's a simple switch you're missing

Otherwise at this point I would go through the pain of uninstalling VS 2015, uninstalling both Windows 10 SDK's, and then re-install everything again.

Dwight Goins

• Did you try increasing the output verbosity and see if there is anything suspicious out there - like files being included from locations that are old or not from the proper Windows Kit?

The settings are in Options->Projects and Solutions->Build and Run -> and there are two combo at the bottom - for build output and build log verbosity.

Just make sure to write down what you had before so you can restore it to your comfortable values - the outputs can be huge in the most verbose modes but sometimes that is the only way to find these strange issues.

• scottyaimscottyaim
    edited September 2016

@Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP said:
    I'm thinking you must have an old DirectX or Windows SDK installed which is interfering with this some kind of way. Do you build Windows Phone apps for Windows 8/8.1 mobile? Obviously your x86 settings are pointing to some paths which include or don't include the proper header files, or your project compiler switch settings are fubar.

Can you post your command line settings for your project here? Maybe it's a simple switch you're missing

Otherwise at this point I would go through the pain of uninstalling VS 2015, uninstalling both Windows 10 SDK's, and then re-install everything again.

After 12 hours of reinstalling VS 2015 and all sdks it is finally working!
    Thanks a lot for everyone`s help!

• I wish that we had a way of figuring out what could have been done short of reinstalling.

I also wish reinstalling wasn't such a long process that it's worth spending hours avoiding reinstalling.

I'm glad you are enabled to work now. :)

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)