Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens Emulator Deployment error.

edited September 2016 in Questions And Answers

I am following this "Origami tutorial" here. https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/holograms_101e

I have built as exactly stated in the tutorial and it is working fine in my home. But in my work environment I cannot get it to work. I am getting build error on deployment to hololens emulator. The error is as follows-

However I have installed everything latest version. However my windows build version is 1511 Windows 10 64Bit Enterprise SOE v1.1 and OS build version is 10586.545

Here is a proof-

I have tried creating an empty UWP app and added a simple button and tried starting a Mobile Emulator 10.0.14393.0 WVGA 4inch 1Gb. And it starts well and runs well and even deploys well in the emulator. So there is no problem with visual studio in detecting the SDK when it is a UWP App. but when it is a Hololens App. Visual studio is not able to detect the same Windows Mobile SDK?

Someone please help me how to solve this issue.

EDIT: I have installed the visual studio in D drive instead of the default drive could that be an issue? Also I had downloaded the visual studio using the /layout option in my workplace and I have installed using that downloaded installer. And the size of the downloaded vs using the /layout options states 20.4GB but when I downloaded in my home it says 25.5GB Could that be an issue? Also since vs was installed remotely from an admin account in my workplace I didn't see the "vs installed completely" dialog, so I don't know what could have caused the issue?

Tagged:

Answers

• Options

@Vickylance,
    Double-check that you have the most recent Windows 10 SDK installed for VS:
    1) Open Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
    2) Right-click on Visual Studio > Change > Modify
    3) Under Features, find the 'Universal Windows App Development Tools' section
    4) Verify that 'Tools (1.4.1) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.14393)' is checked.

If it's not checked, do that now and then press the 'Next' button to update VS. The Windows 10 SDK is ~5GB, so this is probably the difference between your two machines.

• Options

@ahillier
    First of all Thanks for the reply,

Tools (1.4.1) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.14393) is already installed. And I also have tried to repair my Visual Studio using the installer but it didnt solve my issue.

• Options

@Vickylance
    I think you are blocked by Windows 10 Enterprise You probably use Windows 10 Professional at home.

Enterprise has a special function to effectively stop you loading the Windows Mobile Emulator, which you are attempting to use

Enterprise Data Protection, which allows you to encrypt sensitive data and protect it from untrusted users or apps – even on employee-owned devices; and Device Guard, which protects a computer from running untrusted applications.

Windows 10 Enterprise: FAQ for IT professionals

In Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 3 select Debug, X86 and click dropdown for the devices. The bottom of list is download other emulators and above that should be HoloLens Emulator (10.0.0.14393)

I suspect Windows Enterprise is locking you out due to group setting and may need to contact Company policy makers to add the HoloLens Emulators. You will need local Administrator rights to start Hyper-Manager and may be blocked by Group Policy.

I did not get HoloLens development working on Enterprise or Server Beta. I did not find out why.

• Options

@Jimbohalo10
    Hi, and thanks for your reply. I can confirm that the Hololens Emulator 10.0.14393.0 is displayed in the drop down menu when I select for both Debug-x86 and Release-x86.
    And also I want to add that I am able to develop for UWP. Like for example if I create an empty UWP app and then try to deploy in one of the windows 10 mobile emulators I can run the emulator and deploy and test the application. At that time it is taking properly the Windows Mobile SDK Version = 10.0.14393.0 but when I develop for the Hololens using Unity the visual studio is not able to pick up the same Windows Mobile SDK Version = 10.0.14393.0 which it was able to get previously!! Weird right?

• Options

@Vickylance said:
    @Jimbohalo10
    Hi, and thanks for your reply. I can confirm that the Hololens Emulator 10.0.14393.0 is displayed in the drop down menu when I select for both Debug-x86 and Release-x86.
    And also I want to add that I am able to develop for UWP. Like for example if I create an empty UWP app and then try to deploy in one of the windows 10 mobile emulators I can run the emulator and deploy and test the application. At that time it is taking properly the Windows Mobile SDK Version = 10.0.14393.0 but when I develop for the Hololens using Unity the visual studio is not able to pick up the same Windows Mobile SDK Version = 10.0.14393.0 which it was able to get previously!! Weird right?

Yes You have to build as a Universal 10, in Unity 5.5( yes not official support yet!), there a new drop down to target Mobile, HoloLens etc. Be careful this is not just Windows phone.
    Therefore in Unity 5.4, I suggest you build as Window 10, in VS 2015 you switch to Release, ARM and Device, namely your Windows 10 Mobile, like Nokia Lumina 635.
    This will the send you app to the Phone. The Windows 10 Phone Emulator may work but the real thing works better. Once you have a Release version on phone you can make a Debug version and Start debug on the phone. You will need to change screen lock to 30 minutes when in Debug or will crash

The code generated is slightly different in Release and Debug version that's why you need both on mobile.

• Options
    edited September 2016

@Jimbohalo10
    Thanks for your reply, but that is not what I meant. What I actually meant is this.
    If I create an empty UWP app from the Visual Studio templates (Not Unity). I can successfully build and deploy it to any of the windows phone emulators in Visual Studio. At that time I dont get the error that visual studio was unable to find the Windows Mobile SDK. It builds fine and deploys to the phone emulators. But when I create a Hololens App via Unity3d and then open it up in VS and then if I try to build it to Hololens then the VS throws an error that it was unable to find the Windows Mobile SDK, which it was able to find perfectly when I tried to create an Empty UWP app from the Visual Studio Templates.

Although I didnt try creating an empty UWP app via Unity and then deploy it to Phone emulators. If it throws the same error as above then it means the problem is with the way the Unity is exporting the UWP application. So we can focus on the Unity side rather than the Visual Studio side. I will try that tomorrow after going to office.

EDIT: Ok so I have created an empty project inside Unity3d and I have tried building for Universal 10 for windows phone emulators and still I am getting the same errors as for the Hololens. I think the problem is with the Unity3d or the installation of the Windows 10 SDK itself.

• Options

I tried creating a blank Holographic App using the Visual Studio Templates and I am getting a different weird error.

I dont what is the problem with the Windows 10 SDK. It simply doesnt work.

• Options
    edited September 2016

Ok I think I have found out the problem. I have installed the Windows 10 SDK in D :\Softwares but the Visual Studio is looking for the SDK in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10. That is most likely the problem but anyone know how to change the location where the visual studio is looking for the windows 10 SDK?

• Options

Hi @Vickylance , did you found any solution? I'm getting the same error: "could not find SDK".