Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Sphere and equirectangular video

I posted this in the wrong forum section so here goes in Q and A.

I am having a problem with a project I am trying to put video on a sphere using making my 360-fly video thus I have not been able to try it to see if there is a bubble feel. I exported it from 360Fly using the option for equirectangular video.

I created a sphere with rectangles and reversed normals and I was able to apply the mesh and tie it to a video file (.OGV) which Unity supports. It runs in Unity and in the emulator BUT it will not run on the HL hardware. Here are some specifics…

• Microsoft VS Community 2015 - Version 14.0.25425.01 Update 3
  • Unity 5.4.0f3-HTP
  • HoloLens hardware has latest updates installed.

To start the video: using C# script on Unity side to run video on start-up of sphere instantiation using a movie texture.

Visual Studio project:
app.cs: Warning - CS0618 - 'ApplicationView.SuppressSystemOverlays.set' is obsolete: 'Use the TryEnterFullScreen method and IsFullScreenMode property instead of SuppressSystemOverlays. For more info, see MSDN.' 360a \projects\HoloLens\360a\app\360a\App.cs – 57 - Active
// Commented out this line: ApplicationView.GetForCurrentView().SuppressSystemOverlays = true;

Warning went away and then started to work in emulator correctly playing video in sphere. [HoloLens Emulator 10.1.11082.1039] Looks good in the emulator.

HoloLens hardware: Application installs and initially runs showing “Made in Unity; personal edition” and then it goes dark. Bloom gesture will not work; need to put HL to sleep to get out of running state of app. No errors shown with debugging and no crashes. Via remote developer web page for HoloLens, app shows as running with 25% CPU but video frames (FPS) shows as ZERO for the performance graphics; memory seems fine.

Note: App was built in Release x86 and run with and without debugging on the HL hardware; same blank view.

Additionally, I did reduce the resolution of the video and lower the quality with no differences with the HL hardware. Please note, the FPS for the .OVG video is a little over 29 FPS. Other forum threads herein suggest that this should work fine since it is well below the examples people have said they have tried.

I also add the FPS canvas from the Toolkit and it works on Unity but doesn't show on the emulator or hardware.

Does anyone have ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for your help and let me know if I need to provide more info.

Answers

• Options

What shader are you using? Would it be possible to share your project?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

Hi @Patrick, I am using Unlit/Texture. Thanks.

• Options

Did you ever get this working? I was having the same issue when I deployed a video-playing Unity app to HoloLens using a sample movietexture. It worked well when I played it in Unity, but one the HoloLens only showed up as an empty screen after the splash screen, as if there was nothing in the app.

• Options

Hi @rubytinker , I was NOT able to get it to work using the movietexture. I made the video and my entire Unity/VS project available to MS to download but I have not heard anything. I figured it was something that doesn't work yet on the HoloLens hardware??? Thanks for asking.