Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Best way to make a "holographic" hole in a real surface without clipping masks?

Hi,

I'm currently using clipping mask to get the effect of a hole on a real table where my hololens game is set up. I'm going for a similar effect that robo raid uses to "break" the real walls using digital holes. However I'm wondering if there is a better/easier way to do this? I currently have 4 clipping masks manually positioned to surround my digital hole, but it isn't dynamic or optimal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi, SashaFC.

To hide something you have to have something else in front of it that acts as an occlusion. You have two options:

1. Use spatial mesh as an occlusion. This may require actually ramming through the wall so that your spatial mesh has a whole in it.
    2. Use a pre-built mesh as an occlusion. This, named differently or not, is going to be a mask in essence. You can simply use an occlusion shader on quads so it erases the content unless seen through the hole. This is what you supposedly already do.

I don't see any other options. Hiding is hiding.

Why exactly is it not dynamic or optimal for you?

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• I think the least expensive way to do this is in Holograms 101-where you put a shadow box on the surface with a hole cut out from the top in the model.

I have an app that does this dynamically, but it isn't optimal. I precalculate geometry with potential breaks and when something hits the wall I can remove the vertices in the radius of the breaks. This gives a 3d look to the breaks, but I end up having the same or more vertices as the spatial mapping mesh, so the rendering cost is high and my app struggles to maintain 60fps. It would probably be better to calculate a new mesh with the hole cut out on a collision, but I haven't taken the time to work out how to do this.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• @Patrick, are you removing the vertices on the actual spatial mesh or some kind of duplicate? I'm curious whether or not you're pre-mapping the room and then freeze the mesh feeding updates before that?

One could hypothetically come up with some kind of a hybrid solution where pre-built holed plane quarters would be randomly combined into a final holed plane and then mapped onto the all surface recognized by the HoloToolkit mesh processing scripts. Just thinking out loud.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.