Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HoloStudio

Feedback and bug reporting for HoloStudio, available from Windows Store on Microsoft HoloLens.

Tagged:

Comments

• What is HoloStudio? Is it a app?

• Yes, you can download HoloStudio from the Store.

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• its amazing. can I miss a simple 3d paint sample.
    is there a way to build an animated figure that moves in space (like some colorful holographic fish to swim up and down my real aquarium).

• I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• I really wish I could resize the toolbox so it fit in the holographic frame entirely without needing to be placed at the far end of the room
  • Very intuitive so far. Congrats!

The related experience I'm referencing most is with Google Tilt Brush on the Vive...if you could mash the two together, wow. But for a "HoloStudio" building blocks make more sense given the relative resolutions possible at present. (Tilt Brush I end up just scribbling a lot of abstract designs and trying to use their experimental features to export to 3D files and use reference images because I can't draw my way out of a paper bag. HoloStudio lets a non-artist compose a scene, which is awesome.)

For feedback, the widgets are straightforward, but the one I've had the most difficulty in mastering is rotation, especially trying to flip something 180. Maybe a leveling/snap tool (or I guess I may have missed something in the help). Or are there voice commands I'm missing that might be easier, e.g. rotate x degrees on the z axis. I need to check if the KeywordRecognizer has wildcard capabilities for numbers etc..but I imagine often just standard 45 degrees, 90 degrees would meet many use cases if those voice commands have to be hard coded for now.

I like the ability to export to .fbx. I tried to import a .fbx that was very realistic due to it being used for robot simulations, but it was too complex for the Holo Studio. (It makes sense that it's beyond the limit, when I just render the robot on the HoloLens in one of my PoC Unity apps it becomes jittery.)

This goes for the HoloLens in general, not anything particular to HoloStudio but I wish there was a way to juice the graphics card to work around the current constraints and trade offs that were made for portability. (You guys just moved mountains, and of course next the ingrates want you to move planets... :wink: ) E.g. HoloLens 2 (3?) have some hardware way of tapping into a monster graphics card when the portability isn't essential. (Or dvi/hdmi plug-in mode.)

For now, I think in software maybe if you could have a wireframe/prototype experience in HoloLens and somehow have bidirectional updates so you can have the full richness that desktop graphics cards are capable of...trying to figure out my workflow now as I have worked through the tutorials and started creating proof of concepts. I think for me at least has to be somewhat one way...build a prototype scene/ 3d-icon whatcha-widget in HoloStudio and then amp it up in Blender and Unity and with motion capture animations from Adobe Fuse etc.)

• Love the tool for all its intuitive user experience. Please add an option to export from HoloStudio to the native Holograms app!
  • How do I get the Hololens apps? My company purchased the Hololens and I created a Microsoft account to get here. When I go to the Windows Store I don't see any Hololens apps. My company has a Private Store Rep on staff that bought the Hololens but he also cannot see the Hololens apps. The app I'm interested in currently is HoloStudio. Where can I get the app?

• You should be able to see the apps from the store on the HoloLens. Is that what you're trying to do?

1. Imported an .fbx from TiltBrush - crashes HoloStudio every time I try to open it :-(
    2. Need a quit button for the tutorial - no fun if you accidentally open it!
    3. Can't login to SketchFab using my existing account - is there a way to merge accounts?
  • How to export a HoloStudio hologram into Unity?

• Has anyone else had trouble importing an fbx from Onedrive? Whenever I airtap on the Onedrive icon, I simply get the tutorial. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
  • @Vapor said:
    Has anyone else had trouble importing an fbx from Onedrive? Whenever I airtap on the Onedrive icon, I simply get the tutorial. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

In order to import FBX models into HoloStudio, you need to place them in the following folder in your OneDrive: 3D Objects\HoloStudio\Imports

There's more information about what folders to use in the FAQ in the HoloStudio page.

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• I have had no success in importing a simple FBX file into HoloStudio. OneDrive displays the shape properly, but HoloStudio fails to import it, with the error: "The file couldn't be parsed". It's a simple box. I've tried various FBX export options to simplify the model as much as possible -- e.g., forcing triangles, omitting cameras and lights; I've tried ASCII versus binary; I've tried different FBX versions. No luck. None of the other programs I've tested it with have any problem: OneDrive / 3D Viewer on the HoloLens, as well as a couple of PC applications.

Suggestions welcome.

• I am having the same issue. HoloStudio will not import a FBX. It is in the proper OndDrive folder. I get "the file couldn't be parsed". Is this a known bug? Is there a workaround?