Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Room Separation

edited October 2016 in Questions And Answers

Hi,

I'm new to HoloLens, and before playing with it and doing something more serious with it, I need to know something.
I have a project where I need to know which room I am, and separate each room to display different stuff in each one (let's say I have a living room, a bedroom, and outside home), is there a way in HoloLens to know that, for example, I started outside, entered the living room (room 1) and moved to bedroom (room 2) and know which room I am at the moment?

Answers

• Options
    utekaiutekai ✭✭✭

You can use gaze to detect that you are gazing upon a game object, and based on which room that game object is in, you could detect. But if the user gazed upon an object in a different room, it would be inaccurate.

I think it could also be done with pixel light detection, if you placed a light source with limited range in each room and upon detecting light from that source on a pixel that travels with the camera would know the user is close enough to be in the room.

• Options

Okay, so HoloLens won't give me this info by itself, I need to come up with something to mark each room. The light idea, I imagine could not be done as I cannot ensure the same room for every user (as it is a project for a firefighting scenario, different places might be used), so maybe ask the user to pinpoint objects in a scene, or maybe capture the room surface and mark it before starting training?

• Options

Hi Zharramadar. Scanning the rooms beforehand seems like a worthwhile approach, especially for a training application where you want a consistent and repeatable environment for assessing improvement.

Given that, one possible approach that should be relatively easy to prototype would be:

1. Build a floorplan for each room during scanning that you can raycast against (i.e. box colliders for the floor of each room)
    2. Attach whatever metadata you need with each floorplan (name, type, etc)
    3. Raycast straight down from the camera (head) position, that is the room you are in

Simplest place to start would be to use SurfaceMeshesToPlanes in the HoloToolkit.

Good luck!

-matt