We have decided to phase out the Mixed Reality Forums over the next few months in favor of other ways to connect with us.
The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.
The plan between now and the beginning of May is to clean up old, unanswered questions that are no longer relevant. The forums will remain open and usable.
On May 1st we will be locking the forums to new posts and replies. They will remain available for another three months for the purposes of searching them, and then they will be closed altogether on August 1st.
So, where does that leave our awesome community to ask questions? Well, there are a few places we want to engage with you. For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality. If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers. And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Problems with purchasing HoloLens (non-USA after announcement)
Now according to the email from HoloLens purchase is open to 6 other countries including the United Kingdom and Ireland.
So I clicked on "Buy". I can put the HoloLens in my basket.
1. I cannot get a price in U.K. that includes taxes, therefore $3,000 is useless
2. I cannot enter a UK address as I must enter a US State code not a Country code. UK or Ireland.
3. I need to enter a postcode not a zip code.
4. UK credit cards wont work because the security code cannot be added.
5. UK banks wont allow more the 500 GBP pounds on international transaction on credit card, without prior arrangement
6. There needs to be a way to tell customs that tax has been paid and some proof. Tax in UK/Europe is 20% Value Added. Then there is currency conversion values. In Ireland they need this in Euros in the U.K. in Pounds GBP.
7. Two prices with tax and shipping and without tax.
Shipment times in days are wrong. Even when UPS shipped a GOLD CD/DVD from Redmond to my house at Express, it did not arrive for 2 days due to time zone differences. Nothing that fast in UK, only documents.
So my thread Idea here is to discuss problems in Non-US sales of HoloLens, the above points will need to be fixed before any one is likely to place an order!
My current approximation view is £3890 pounds Sterling GBP U.K. and customs (VAT) and shipping, This too high for me personally, but may be good for small business.
Let wait and see, but fix the shopping Website, go via UK Microsoft Limited if needed