Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

3D Viewer Beta

Feedback and bug reporting for 3D Viewer Beta, available from Windows Store on Microsoft HoloLens.

Comments

• nashnash ✭✭

Would like to know why files won't open when they don't open. Right now the app tries to open the file then just stops.

Also what materials can be rendered and what cannot? I'm using clara.io and just picking some random 3D models for a demo I'm trying to put together, would like to know some filters so i can get some quality 3D models to use.

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

Feedback: it would be great to open .STL files to see what they would look like in real space before 3D printing them.

• When I open my FBX model with the 3D viewer all color information is lost. The result is a solid white model, and it is hard to see any detail at all. If I open my FBX model in FBX Review on my laptop it looks correct. Any suggestions?

• Would it be possible to share that FBX model so we could take a look at it?

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• You can find more info about the supported formats for 3D Viewer Beta here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13766/hololens-using-3d-viewer-on-hololens

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• @javanator Would it be possible for you to share that FBX model so we could take a look at it?

• My firm is in the architecture business.
    This application needs to be able to support substantially larger models to be truly useful to us, an fbx file in excess of 50 megabytes, plus color plus transparency both of which don't seem to be showing up, all we get is a white model, and ability to cast shadows would be helpful. Very exciting technology never the less.

The rotational navigation method on the holograms is more elegant than the implementation here. We will want to have very senior executives with very little patience and no technical abilities using this app, so flat, self explanatory user interfaces are very important.

• It appears that if a mesh is made of more than one material, it reverts to solid white, which does not happen in most fbx viewer aplications

• It would be very helpful to be able to turn on and off the individual meshes within a file, so for example we could turn all the roofs off in a building file and see inside.

• It would also be helpful to read an .obj file directly. Converting an obj file to an fbx file seem to significantly increase its file size. Not understanding all the dimensions of the problem, would this mean performance thresholds are encountered earlier with fbx files than the equivalent .obj file?

• Requesting 3mf support!
  • Hey, thanks for all the feedback! I'm working to compile a list of what people have requested - so please feel free to tell me more about what you're doing and what you would like to see 3D Viewer do or support. Your scenarios are super important.

• Jessica,

My employer is the worlds largest architecture firm. We have several Hololens units.
    We sell spatial designs back to our clients long before they are built, we are always looking to help them understand what we have conceived more clearly and more quickly, so that is our primary goal for this technology.

Our primary authoring tool for 3d content is Autodesk Revit. The fbx out function from Revit does not include materials so all we get is white models in your application or any other. We have written our own fbx and obj export function, the fbx file gets generated by converting the obj file which is written first. We can group the obj face records based on Revit materials. In this way we can get a colored shaded model in fbx format from Revit to a Onedrive folder in three clicks. This is an exciting start but there are more features we could really use.

Features we need:
    Transparency of materials, without this we cannot see from outside a building into it.
    Making glass black does not work as you see thru the whole hologram, not into it. The 3D Builder hololens app in the store seems to have this working.

Instead of organizing the model by material, we would like to organize it by building component categories, and have visibility control over them individually.
    E.g. Doors, Walls, Windows would be categories. Our tool will export by category, but since a mesh in this application must be of one material, and categories generally contain objects of different materials, we only get white models in the hololens. We need support for multi-material meshes, followed by an ability to make a category visible or in visible, and potentially semi transparent.

Another useful feature would be a dynamic section plane that can be moved along the cardinal axis' of the building and hide everything on one side of it. In this way we can create cutaway views thru the model and look at vertical and horizontal sections. Sketch-up has this capability although their ui leaves a little to be desired.

This one is a stretch, but dynamically exploding a model along one or more axes would be great, think exploded parts diagrams in instruction manuals, then tweaking its position manually.

Capacity is an issue. FBX files seem to have more vertices in them than the obj file that they were derived from, our app does vertex welding, perhaps that explains the difference, it might be something your app could do during load, or can you support .obj directly. We are seeing good performance on models with 1.3 million vertices, in 40 odd meshes, which generates a warning but is never-the-less fine. However including furniture which is hi poly can put it over the edge.

The ability to assemble a scene from several files would also be very helpful. We often have a separate model for a buildings context, Its topographic base, and entourage to embellish the scene. We can take care of having all files in the same coordinate system prior to exporting, but visibility control over each file in the scene would be very useful. It becomes easy to present several design alternatives in the same context this way.

Hope that helps

• And since I don't have two of these, so don't understand what two or more of them see, I would add that it is important that multiple simultaneous users can view and discuss the same model at the same time, and that some kind of gaze driven laser point would be helpful.

• wintermootwintermoot ✭✭
    edited May 2016

wanted to report a bug.. if you load larger fbx's, any further attempts to load OTHER models will fail, returning the view to the previous too large model. the only way out of this is to uninstall and reinstall the app since the last model is always loaded on launch.

• @mbassett - Oh wow thank you so much for taking the time to give us your detailed feature requests. Much appreciated!

@wintermoot - I believe I'm familiar with the issue you're referring to. I'll sync back with you once I believe we've released a change that will fix it to see if it solved your issue.

• edited May 2016

I work for AECOM (building structures) and we're trialing HoloLens on a major international airport terminal project. This software is a proving a useful companion piece to gauge performance prior to a manual deploy from Unity or Trimble Connect. We're having great success with mesh data built bottom up as a branch of our geometry definition workflow, rather than relying on back exported geometry from Revit.

Some suggestions for future releases:-

• Turn off the fade occlusion - people want to look into the models
    • 1:1 scale introduce a simple switch and jump to feature rather relying on metadata
    • Multi user environment
    • Keep the front end / toolbar simple - what you have now is good
  • Is is possible to load multiple models? Right now whenever I load a new model I lose the previous one.

• @JacobErvin - No, you can only load one model at a time. @MartinFowler - Thanks for the feedback/feature requests!

• Currently having a problem installing the 3d viewer beta and other apps, though onedrive has installed without a problem. Tried a restart, hard restart and then a factory reset to see if this resolves the issue but is still stopping at a partial download. Any help on how to resolve this?

• Intel Realsense itSeez 3D Models of bust shows red colored display only. The model was Converted from the Obj format to FBX using the Autodesk FBX converted . It did not work.
    Another 3D Home model made out of eTeks sweet Home 3D, converted from Obj to FBX worked nicely. Gave error messages but atleast those worked as 3D. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZBUCwLnzyU

• wzrdjrwzrdjr
    edited July 2016

Any timeline for being able to use multiple textures?

• tool is working great with parts of a very large offshore platform model we have, but can only bring in parts of the model due to the size limitation.

Features Requests:
    Zoom to full size: Simple button on the zoom dialog would be great
    Zoom to initial size: Simple button on zoom dialog.
    Snap to floor or table.
    App should run on Windows PC and provide a way to tweak model to better perform. Make it a universal application.
    Ability to automatically simplify parts of the model or hide parts of model that are not visible.
    Frame rate monitoring: Provide some way to see what the frame rate is and other performance metrics. Most of the models give us warning upon opening, but appear to work well.

• wzrdjrwzrdjr
    edited July 2016

BUG: I'm having an issue where I can't open any new files. It just keeps loading in the previous one (which had animation). I've even tried uninstalling 3DViewer from the Hololens and reinstalling it. At that point, it brought in the shark demo again, but I still can't open any new files. Clicking open file takes me to the OneDrive window, I find the file I just uploaded and select "open" and then...The shark again. It's as if I somehow broke the "Open File" functionality (or at least the open dialog Box). FYI, it worked prior to the file with animation and none of my files were related to the shark in any way. Would appreciate some guidance. Thx.

• It'd be great to have the ability to open other file formats like prt or dxf or dwg.

• @wzrdjr said:
    BUG: I'm having an issue where I can't open any new files. It just keeps loading in the previous one (which had animation). I've even tried uninstalling 3DViewer from the Hololens and reinstalling it. At that point, it brought in the shark demo again, but I still can't open any new files. Clicking open file takes me to the OneDrive window, I find the file I just uploaded and select "open" and then...The shark again. It's as if I somehow broke the "Open File" functionality (or at least the open dialog Box). FYI, it worked prior to the file with animation and none of my files were related to the shark in any way. Would appreciate some guidance. Thx.
    For me, "restart" worked.

• Also open the APP in new space.

• At this time our main use is to be able to see architectural models in real scale (1:1). We'd like an easy way to achieve this and still have the ability to reduce the scale in more nominal terms (such as half scale, etc.) rather than have the manually select the box and scale. Also, any ability to geo-locate would be phenomenal to be able to place models in their respective XYZ global location.

• Found an issue when trying to review a model 1:1 scale. As you move around the model, it doesn't stay in one place. It does move so you have to continuously rescale or realign it with the physical world. If you walk up to a model of a door at full scale with the actual door behind it, it'll move slightly away from you as you get closer therefore you'd have to realign it as you move.

• Also, to get a model out of Autodesk Revit into 3D Viewer without it being white all you have to do is export an NWC file, open in Navisworks and export the FBX file from there. It'll keep colors, but not materials. Also, any changes you make in Navisworks will not go with the FBX so you'll need to make those changes in Revit prior to exporting to the NWC file.