Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Fragments

Feedback and bug reporting for Fragments, available from Windows Store on Microsoft HoloLens.

Tagged:

Comments

• @james_ashley Oooh same! What other games would you want to see on HoloLens?

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

Easy. :)

An updated version of Atari's Adventure in 3D space but with 8-bit graphics.

Zork -- I want to finally see the white mailbox for myself. Navigate with voice commands -- I actually wrote speech recognition for the Zmachine and Zork in particular a few years ago.

Gary Gygax's D&D module The Tomb of Horrors -- working on that now. :*

Mind's Eye Theater games from White Wolf for the HoloLens would be amazing.

Do you remember the three Gabriel Knight games? It was an incredibly deep and mysterious gameworld -- plus the first one takes place in New Orleans. I could easily see Fragments expanded out into that franchise.

The 7th Guest is another game that combined puzzles, point and click and video. Also, haunted house genre would work great with HL.

And of course, Grim Fandango. Right? Why didn't I think of that first?

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

Ooh ooh. Also, Joust and Donkey Kong.

I can even imagine Donkey Kong climbing up one of my walls. And knights riding tiny ostriches flying around the middle of my living room while pteradactyls fly overhead. How cool would that be?

James Ashley

• LOL amazing. (Did you see the movie Pixels? Pretty dumb, but someone could create that in real life with HoloLens.)

I'm a fan of the early Adam Sandler. Anything after Happy Gilmore I find difficult to watch.

James Ashley

• Fragments is an example of a game that taps into your emotions. Whenever Nicole Lazzaro gives a talk about VR, you can bet that she's going to say that the #1 thing VR experiences need to do is tap into emotion. Fragments is a great proof of her point. It's a hidden pixel game, but it does such a good job making you care about the story that you forget that it's a hidden pixel game. If I'm going to show off the HoloLens to a friend, Fragments is my go to title.

And holographic people sitting on my real couch? The first time I saw that I was stunned.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Everyone can find out more about Fragments here: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/apps/Fragments

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• vbandivbandi
    edited May 2016

@james_ashley said:
    Best HoloLens game by far. It pushes what you can do with spatial mapping and it took me an hour before I realized it's the modern version of a point and click game.

I agree. RoboRaid is more physical, but Fragments shows off the HoloLens like no other game I saw. I'm not an easily wow-ed guy if I already know the capabilities of technology, but there were some scenes and uses that truly amazed me. Without spoiling anything, the X-ray effect is very well done, and when the drone hit my real world furniture, it was beyond awesome. Also, subtle things like the furniture hiding parts of the characters behind it was key to immersion.

It also has a pretty interesting story, so the game doesn't feel like a tech demo.

• I installed Fragments from the Windows Store onto my hololens. I can load up the app window but when I activate it, it does nothing. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but no difference. I'm having the same experience with Young Conker. All the other Hololens apps in the Store work fine. Any clues on how to fix this?

• PatrickPatrick mod
    edited May 2016

mavasher, you might try deleting your 'space'. You can do this on your HoloLens by:
    1. Go to settings
    2. Pick 'system'
    3. pick 'spaces'
    4. pick your space
    5. delete the space.
    6. if the device insists it can only run in 'limited mode' reboot it.

if that doesn't work please submit feedback through the feedback hub on the device.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• That did the trick. Thanks for the help.

• I have finished the game (it is awesome), but had to reset the HoloLens and now all my memories are gone. I'd like to show some of my friends one of the last memories (levels) as I believe it is exceptionally well done technically. Is there any way to populate the memory browser of the game so that I don't have to spend another 2-3 hours playing through the game? Yes, I am looking for a cheat code or something similar :)

Thanks,
    András

• I'm struggling to get through this one due to the "saved room" size cap. It's too small for me to stand comfortably away from the characters so they fit in the holographic frame. Getting close cuts off the characters and creates a bit of motion sickness due to having to crane my head to keep them in focus.

• @vbandi - No, sorry...there's no way to jump ahead. :(

• @Jessica said:
    @vbandi - No, sorry...there's no way to jump ahead. :(

Any chance of an update that would allow this? After all, this is a showcase game, and I'd really like to show off some of the cool stuff in the later parts and praise your ingenuity with actual demos instead of just words. :)

• I agree with others above. Fragments is great example of the capabilities of the HoloLens. I have one problem with it though, there seems to be pretty significant lag between the audio and graphics. When the characters speak, it's at least a couple of seconds ahead of their mouth moving and actions. I've also noticed a good amount of lag with other apps, namely the HoloTour, too. Video and animation refresh rates are very, very slow. I'm not sure if it's just my device or if it happens for everyone else too.

• Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

@GTruss said:
    I agree with others above. Fragments is great example of the capabilities of the HoloLens. I have one problem with it though, there seems to be pretty significant lag between the audio and graphics. When the characters speak, it's at least a couple of seconds ahead of their mouth moving and actions. I've also noticed a good amount of lag with other apps, namely the HoloTour, too. Video and animation refresh rates are very, very slow. I'm not sure if it's just my device or if it happens for everyone else too.

Granted I never watched their lips that closely, but I don't recall any noticeable delay when playing.

• Thanks, Jarrod. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with my device. It seems the graphics lag a lot more than I've seen in demos and videos. Even the main menu lags quite a bit when opening up (Bloom) and moving the gaze cursor around. I'm not sure if this is just performance of the HoloLens, or my specific device.

• I tried to use FRAGMENTS (I selected narrative), but it would not sync .

First I scanned the room and I seemed to cover everything as far as I could tell[*], but after half an hour it still only showed about half the grid points filled in in the progress table.

[*] I looked around the room systematically: all the walls, floor, ceiling, chair and counters. (I did my kitchen since it is the room least cluttered with furniture, computers, books...)

Then I tried deleting existing spaces. I went back to FRAGMENTS and this time it did not seem to be trying to scan the room at all: no mesh points were showing in any direction.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

@qporit said:
    I tried to use FRAGMENTS (I selected narrative), but it would not sync .

First I scanned the room and I seemed to cover everything as far as I could tell[*], but after half an hour it still only showed about half the grid points filled in in the progress table.

[*] I looked around the room systematically: all the walls, floor, ceiling, chair and counters. (I did my kitchen since it is the room least cluttered with furniture, computers, books...)

Then I tried deleting existing spaces. I went back to FRAGMENTS and this time it did not seem to be trying to scan the room at all: no mesh points were showing in any direction.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

In general the Hololens is pretty tolerant of lighting, but make sure your room isn't too dark, and that the materials covering the room are not too dark.
    In my living room during the evening I would lose track of my space due to losing the ability to clearly see objects in the room for tracking. Also, in my living room, dark materials like the back of my piano and speakers, both black, would have holes in them unless I scanned from really odd angles (to get the IR to reflect right).

• I've been thoroughly enjoying Fragments, but there are two fixes that would help the game.

1) Part of my living room has an entry way half-floor, and the Crime Lab placed itself right over the entry way (it's level to the playing floor, but since it's over the entry way, the center of it floats about 8 feet off the floor) - an update allowing the moving of the Crime Lab to another unused space would be very beneficial to other players with similar situations (I'm still able to use the Crime Lab, but to be level with it, I have to stand about 10 feet away from it).

2) An exit button in the program - I know you can bloom out of it, but I'm a bit old school... I like something that closes out the program when I exit instead of pausing it and forcing me to close the program separately.

• @JLP - Thanks for the feedback!

• edited September 2016

Sometimes when flying the drone, it doesn't go through the exit because the spatial mapping collider blocks it.

Stephen Hodgson
    Microsoft HoloLens Agency Readiness Program
    Virtual Solutions Developer at Saab
    HoloToolkit-Unity Moderator

• I am also trying to achieve object placement like fragments. Can anyone please point me to the right direction? I have been messing with the holotoolkit but kinda got lost in the code. Any tips?

• We'll be using the game later this month with high school students. We are in the middle of creating a document of every puzzle, in every level, and what type of user interaction is required to solve it (touch something, listen to something, etc.). Would that be of use to share here?

• We'll be using the game later this month with high school students. We are in the middle of creating a document of every puzzle, in every level, and what type of user interaction is required to solve it (touch something, listen to something, etc.). Would that be of use to share here?

• Is it possible to make this game multiplayer?

• @bjoseph said:
    We'll be using the game later this month with high school students. We are in the middle of creating a document of every puzzle, in every level, and what type of user interaction is required to solve it (touch something, listen to something, etc.). Would that be of use to share here?

Sure It shall be useful, keep us updated.

• @CesarGar said:
    Everyone can find out more about Fragments here: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/apps/Fragments

The link you sent cannot be used. Have you changed other links? Please let me know