Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HoloTour

Feedback and bug reporting for HoloTour, available from Windows Store on Microsoft HoloLens.

Tagged:

Comments

• At the moment I see no results for HoloTour in the store.

• Me neither

• Yeah what's up with Holo Tour, I thought it was one of the launch experience apps?
    I don't see it in the HoloLens app store with the other launch experiences.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• I was not able to find the Holo Tour app either.
  • Was able to find the Holotour MSFT Store link however it indicates that it is not available yet. ms-windows-store://pdp/?ProductId=9NBLGGH5PJ87

Anyone else see this?

• It's not available yet on purpose :) Coming soon!

• @Jessica said:
    It's not available yet on purpose :) Coming soon!

Do you have a timeline?

• Not one I can share at this time. :)

• Hello Jessica
    I was thinking about something similar to HoloTour for use in education, but was wondering about some possible limitations of Hololense. For example, could several users (a dozen or so) experience the same surrounding in sync and would it be possible to walk around a larger space than a single room. The term used in virtual reality is "free roam VR" and I'd like to do something similar, but with AR and HoloLense seems like a perfect choice.

• Hey, HoloTour is available in the store now! Let us know what you think!

• Hey Andy,

While the apps we released in the store are all single-user, we've done a few things that allow multiple users to share the same experience - for example, what we did last year at E3 with Halo. (http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-halo-5s-hololens-demo-is-what-i-want-the-future-to-be). We'd love to hear more about what you want to do with HoloLens!

• @Jessica: sharing experiences and being able to see third person what another person is doing (e.g. as seen in keynote demos) is absolutely a key scenario. The more of it is platform enabled, the better.

• It would be nice to hear impressions of the HoloTour app from some of you that have received devices and have had a chance to check it out.

Does it look like it might share some ancestry with the Photosynth experience?

• @Jessica
    Would it be OK if I send you a PM along with a short descirption of this idea?

• @Andy - It would be better if you did it here, so that other people who might be interested can follow the conversation along.

• I was able to test the holotour app on the device this weekend and it was a really good experience. It would be nice to be able to do that tour with another person and have the ability to chat with them,

• @HoloSheep: I would say it is very different than photo synth. It's like a completely immersive 360 degree video that also guides you around and has some cool after effects to show some of the history. It's actually one of my favorite programs, probably only second to Fragments.

• Thanks @Jesse_McCulloch, looking forward to checking it out.

Also very interested in eventually learning what tech was used to create the experience (Photosynth or otherwise) and how we would go about creating something similar.

• Holotour - Cool APP, More V.R. than A.R. . . .

I found it better to Dim all room lights and try a really open room.

Completely devoid of lights might be better (??)

• Hello,
    Just havin a Rome’s tour with HoloTour and wow!!! That is AWESOME!
    While in Piazza Navona I found a painting reporting the following heading:
    PIAZZA NAVONA PER TOURISTICI
    There is a typo there because it should be:
    PIAZZA NAVONA PER TURISTI

Now, correct heading translation is: Piazza Navona for tourist, what do you want to mean with that? There is not a Piazza Navona for tourist and a Piazza Navona for locals… 
    I would change it in “Piazza Navona” only.

All the best
    -g

• Everyone can find out more about HoloTour here: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/apps/HoloTour

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• This app was the biggest surprise for me. I thought that VR was not possible on HoloLens - I couldn't have been more wrong! Excellent concept, very well executed.

• @vbandi - thanks!

To everyone - I'm wondering if there are things you're curious about, from a developer POV, in HoloTour (and the other apps). If you could find out more about how we did something, what would it be? (I see @holosheep wants to know how it was shot already - I'd love to hear what else you want to know!)

• Now that I have seen it and it is apparent that it is some form of 360 video, I am now also very interested in the options for creating something similar.

Not just the capture but also the implementation.

• This application is impressive, you can see the floor and the sky above. We really wanted to grab onto something when we looking at the glass bottom of the balloon scene; really cool! The 360 views are awesome to demonstrate the uses for the HoloLens.

I like that there are voice prompts, however I kept try to use the click gesture and was unsure how to exit a scene. I did discover under settings the voice commands that are active and this helped a lot.

As a developer, I would like to understand more how this was written with more technical direction. It would be awesome if users could record their own 360 videos and import them into this project to just visit without guides or explanation to literally capture things like birthday parties, wedding, hikes, etc. Just my two cents.

Above all, great job folks! Thanks, Bill Herald

• @Jessica said:
    To everyone - I'm wondering if there are things you're curious about, from a developer POV, in HoloTour (and the other apps). If you could find out more about how we did something, what would it be? (I see @holosheep wants to know how it was shot already - I'd love to hear what else you want to know!)

I'd be very interested in literally everything - ideation, production, recording, UX design (what worked, what didn't), performance optimization, technology used for the 3D video, team setup, etc. There's a lot to be learned here...

• @vbandi - Thanks! That's helpful! I think we'll be able to put some of that together to share.

• Personally I really like how the ground model is seemingly blended with the video. (or employs some great tricks to hide the join), I'm interested in how the video was shot, and how the model / video was integrated in the scene. Essentially - if this project's source files were provided as sample code I would be most happy! :)

• edited May 2016

@Jessica I agree with everything mascorddesign said above. I am currently shooting 360 videos -- I'm interested in a simple tutorial on bringing those videos into a HoloLens app.

• @Jessica said:
    @vbandi - Thanks! That's helpful! I think we'll be able to put some of that together to share.

I asked about this in May and didn't see anything in response since then. I've been hitting a brick wall trying to make a 3d experience like this. Has any more information been posted on insights behind HoloTour, 360fly video capture or ???, technical overview, sample code(Unity (assets?), DirectX, or ???), recommended video formats, syncing video with gaze quadrants to prompt/engage users about what they are seeing, depth and parallax, etc. Thank you and I hope there are things the team can share to help us out.