Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HoloTour

2»

Comments

• @Andy said:
    Hello Jessica
    I was thinking about something similar to HoloTour for use in education, but was wondering about some possible limitations of Hololense. For example, could several users (a dozen or so) experience the same surrounding in sync and would it be possible to walk around a larger space than a single room. The term used in virtual reality is "free roam VR" and I'd like to do something similar, but with AR and HoloLense seems like a perfect choice. "

Bigger space is easily possible. You can have APPS having size of Huge stadiums or small cities, if you can afford to spend time and huge money creating the Visuals. Big companies can do it. Even you can drive around the Virtual city in Virtual Car. Unlimited possibilities. Or you can jog around the virtual stadium. The Youtube videos don't do justice. Shipping Cargo boxes are real size. Characters are around 6 feet in height
    The Hologram AR space is 200 feet by 130 feet and (fence)height 40 feet approximately.
    Background a digital sun and sky.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaeKl1nawrM

• @bherald1965 said:

@Jessica said:
    @vbandi - Thanks! That's helpful! I think we'll be able to put some of that together to share.

I asked about this in May and didn't see anything in response since then. I've been hitting a brick wall trying to make a 3d experience like this. Has any more information been posted on insights behind HoloTour, 360fly video capture or ???, technical overview, sample code(Unity (assets?), DirectX, or ???), recommended video formats, syncing video with gaze quadrants to prompt/engage users about what they are seeing, depth and parallax, etc. Thank you and I hope there are things the team can share to help us out.

Are you looking at some thing like the video which is big and takes more space than room size APPs.?
    One more Test APP from the same assets.
    "You can do it now.
    Shipping Cargo boxes are real size. Characters are around 6feet in size and taller than me. I am standing in middle of them, 100s of them. All real human size running around me.
    U can see me walking around the static one to show the size.
    The Hologram AR space is 200 feet by 130 feet and (fence)height 40 feet approximately.
    The flexibility of Hololens for VR and AR. "
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKfuwGQi5Zg

• edited August 2016

I wanted to share that I just purchased the 360fly video camera and I am working on taking one of the snapshot images and also the 3D video as a material on the inside of a sphere with the normals reversed to see if I can work out the distortions. Obviously I am rendering the sphere large enough that you are standing inside of it when you run it on the HoloLens device, you can see it all around you in 3D. What I am trying to get working, but a slow go. :-)

• That's so cool! Like HoloTour, are you going to build some near-field holograms that would look at home in that 3D world so you don't get the bubble sensation? It really changes the experience :-)

• edited August 2016

Hi @MattZ ,
    I am making progress but I am stuck with it running on the hardware with my 360-fly video thus I have not been able to try it to see if there is a bubble feel.

I created a sphere with rectangles and reversed normals and I was able to apply the mesh and tie it to a video file (.OGV) which Unity supports. It runs in Unity and in the emulator BUT it will not run on the HL hardware. Here are some specifics…

• Microsoft VS Community 2015 - Version 14.0.25425.01 Update 3
    • Unity 5.4.0f3-HTP
    • HoloLens hardware has latest updates installed.

To start the video: using C# script on Unity side to run video on start-up of sphere instantiation using a movie texture.

Visual Studio project:
    app.cs: Warning - CS0618 - 'ApplicationView.SuppressSystemOverlays.set' is obsolete: 'Use the TryEnterFullScreen method and IsFullScreenMode property instead of SuppressSystemOverlays. For more info, see MSDN.' 360a D:\projects\HoloLens\360a\app\360a\App.cs – 57 - Active
    // Commented out this line: ApplicationView.GetForCurrentView().SuppressSystemOverlays = true;

Warning went away and then started to work in emulator correctly playing video in sphere. [HoloLens Emulator 10.1.11082.1039] Looks good in the emulator.

HoloLens hardware: Application installs and initially runs showing “Made in Unity; personal edition” and then it goes dark. Bloom gesture will not work; need to put HL to sleep to get out of running state of app. No errors shown with debugging and no crashes. Via remote developer web page for HoloLens, app shows as running with 25% CPU but video frames (FPS) shows as ZERO for the performance graphics; memory seems fine.

Note: App was built in Release x86 and run with and without debugging on the HL hardware; same blank view.

Additionally, I did reduce the resolution of the video and lower the quality with no differences with the HL hardware. Please note, the FPS for the .OVG video is a little over 29 FPS. Other forum threads herein suggest that this should work fine since it is well below the examples people have said they have tried.

Does anyone have ideas how to resolve this? Thanks in advance for your help and let me know if I need to provide more info.

• Sorry I missed this. This category of the forums is for feedback or questions about the Microsoft apps. When you're trying to get technical help with a project, you'll get the right eyes on it by posting in the "Q and A" category. I'd love to be more useful to you directly, but I'm not one of the engineers!

• Of all the apps I've made videos of Holotour is THE most popular and raved about ... I have to say I did not expect this ! https://youtu.be/Ql5aWF0vURc

• @Jessica said:
    @vbandi - thanks!

To everyone - I'm wondering if there are things you're curious about, from a developer POV, in HoloTour (and the other apps). If you could find out more about how we did something, what would it be? (I see @holosheep wants to know how it was shot already - I'd love to hear what else you want to know!)

Will HoloTour be available on GitHub? I'm developing on an Acer Mixed Reality headset and want to create a 3D launcher in the Mixed Realty Home like HoloTour. There are tons of other areas of HoloTour that I'd like to see the code for as well.

• Hi,
    Is HoloTour considered a Mixed Reality or a Virtual Reality app? I mean, do objects blend in the real world?

• great app! just getting into hololens app development and by seeing this, I was amazed! great job guys!

• The combination of 3D and video is very surprising.
    Is the camera in the height of Eye-Level?