Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HoloLens companion app

Feedback and bug reporting for Microsoft HoloLens companion app, available from Windows Store on PC and Phone.

Comments

• I got a Hololens and it works great. How can I stream live video from it that includes the holograms? Skype works but it removes all augmentations besides the skype window.

• This is the wrong place for that question, better put in Q&A, but if you open the device portal, there's a tab that will let you take pictures or videos that give the view from the HoloLens.

• Actually the companion app lets you do that, too. I found however that for (unknown reasons) the streaming through the device portal seems to be more stable than the companion app.

But "live" is not true in my experience. For me it was about 6 seconds delay.

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

I don't know about other people's experiences, but the video streaming only works for the first minute or so, then eventually slows down and stops. This is true for any of the three quality settings. If I change the quality setting, then it resets and I'm good for a little longer.

• I have not had any issues with the video streaming, other than the fact that there is a delay from what I see through the headset, and what the person watching sees. It seems to be a 6 to 10 second delay.

• Does anyone know what the true resolution of the stream is? Obviously it scales to fit the window.

• Depending on network quality (I think), it can have a delay up to 6 seconds - but sometimes I see about 1 second or less, which is awesome.

Please add the ability to set the IPD in the app.

It'd be great to have the performance monitors (especially FPS) meter as well. Otherwise great job, I prefer it to the device portal!

• danTdanT
    edited May 2016

@danT said:
    Does anyone know what the true resolution of the stream is? Obviously it scales to fit the window.

In an answer to my own question: The answer can be found in the device portal...

• CarSunKeyCarSunKey
    edited May 2016

Sounds like I can accomplish anything I need to using the device portal but wanted to get the Companion App working just to see it :smile: Since nobody else seems to be having an issue I must be doing something wrong.

Figured out that I needed to set a password on device portal, check!
    Restarted device and computer (just in case)
    Entered IP and creds created in device portal, no go. CApp reports: .
    "Device Unreachable"

CApp must see my device because I get a different error (pinwheel) when changing to bad IP. I believe for some reason it's not taking un and pwd, I also get same error when entering invalid creds.

-Device Portal on, Dev mode enabled on device
    -deviceportal using device IP works great
    -tried ResetCredentials in CApp which does change the password (confirmed in device portal) but logging in generates same Device Unreachable afterwards

Picky stuff
    Noticed pwd is displayed as plain text instead of **** on CApp. UI
    After resetting password using CApp, should probably redirect UI to login screen or show confirmed message

N6MAA10816