Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Event for cancelled finger ready gesture

Hi all,

I'm using InteractionManager.SourceDetected from the UnityEngine.VR.WSA.Input library to detect when someone puts their finger up.

I can then detect if the user puts their whole hand back down using InteractionManager.SourceLost, or track it with InteractionManager.SourceUpdated.

What I'm really struggling to detect is when they retract their finger while still holding their hand in front of the Lens (basically cancelling the finger ready gesture).

To see an example of what I want to achieve, in the HoloLens shell, hold up your hand and raise your finger. The cursor changes to a disc. Now, retract your finger while still holding up your hand. The cursor reverts back to a dot.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options

Did you solve this?

• Options

@kvnmlr - Are you also trying to solve it? 

• Options

Yes but at the moment I think there is any alternative to SourceDetected and SourceLost events. (I noticed that the Microsoft Cursor from the main menu is also not working quite right ... it sometimes stays in the ready pose even if your finger is not pointing up.)

But if anyone has an update on this, would be cool to post it here.

• Options
    jbienzmsjbienzms mod
    edited December 2016

InteractionManager has the following events:

public static event SourceEventHandler SourceDetected;
        public static event SourceEventHandler SourceLost;
        public static event SourceEventHandler SourcePressed;
        public static event SourceEventHandler SourceReleased;
        public static event SourceEventHandler SourceUpdated;

Or at least that's what I see with Unity 5.5.0f3 installed.

Isn't Released what you're looking for?

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• Options

@jbienzms said:
    InteractionManager has the following events:

public static event SourceEventHandler SourceDetected;
      public static event SourceEventHandler SourceLost;
      public static event SourceEventHandler SourcePressed;
      public static event SourceEventHandler SourceReleased;
      public static event SourceEventHandler SourceUpdated;

Or at least that's what I see with Unity 5.5.0f3 installed.

Isn't Released what you're looking for?

I have the exact same problem. It seems that SourceReleased is not working. All other events work fine.

I solved it by using the InteractionSourceState.pressed. If it changes from true to false in SourceUpdated(), the Source is Released.

• Options

@Barmyard do you feel this is a bug? Maybe a broken implementation? If so, could you open an issue here? Basically just paste in what you said above. That way we can get someone to take a look at it and hopefully fix it.

I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• Options

@jbienzms said:
    @Barmyard do you feel this is a bug? Maybe a broken implementation? If so, could you open an issue here? Basically just paste in what you said above. That way we can get someone to take a look at it and hopefully fix it.

Excuse me for the late reply.
    Yes I think this is a broken implementation. But I think it has to do with Unity and not with the HoloToolkit.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/550/Documentation/ScriptReference/VR.WSA.Input.InteractionSourceState.html
    InteractionSourceState seems to be a Unity implementation and not a HoloToolkit one.
    I am not sure where to file this bug.

• Options

@Barmyard I'm asking internally how we recommend raising issues up to Unity. I believe they own the WSA code you mention above but I believe we help them on the implementation. I'll get back on this.

• Options

Was this issue raised with Unity?