Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Can the built in spatial mapping be disabled on a per app basis?

I have developed an app which is beyond the scale of spatial mapping and therefore I have not included any spatial mapping into my project, but the HoloLens' built in spatial mapping is causing issues, especially in darkened areas. Is there anyway to disable the onboard mapping?
Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Alex480Alex480 ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Can you tell us more about the darkened areas? Are they dark rooms? If so, it is most likely not the spatial mapping that is failing (it uses ToF depth camera that should not depend on normal light) but the orientation cameras that do.

HoloLens uses the regular IMU plus four additional cameras to track the position and orientation of the device. If the environment is dark or of very uniform look (plain single color walls for example) then that severely limits its capabilities and it can switch to limited mode thus preventing normal functionally. Unfortunately some lights are needed for it to work well.

• Options
    utekaiutekai ✭✭✭

At times I see a notice to 'Go Unlimited' or 'Use Unlimited Mode' or something to that effect. Don't know how to enable or what enables the prompt. But it seems to stop mapping and just display what it can.

• Options
    utekaiutekai ✭✭✭

Did find this, which seems to indicate that if there is no corresponding map and wireless is turned off, that it will offer to go into unlimited mode.

One statement is "Limited Mode prevents holograms from being placed in your world. In Limited Mode, holograms are fixed to your gaze."

• Options

@utekai said:
    At times I see a notice to 'Go Unlimited' or 'Use Unlimited Mode' or something to that effect. Don't know how to enable or what enables the prompt. But it seems to stop mapping and just display what it can.

You can control that in Unity, the link is posted in my answer above

• Options
    utekaiutekai ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

@LemuelBotha Thank you for the link, it is a good reference in how to handle the tracking loss event. And it perfectly answers the question about what enables the prompt.

And as it turns out it's very easy to force a tracking loss event to occur.

But just now I realized why it's called limited mode, and up to now I've been considering it as unlimited mode (as in being able to move around freely through new spaces or at night and have your holograms move with you).

But it's limited because some of the apps just won't do much. For instance the holograms app.