Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Limit spacial mapping to 1 meter for the usage in a car

Hi there,

Use case:
Use the MS HoloLens while driving in the car. (of course as passenger :smile: )
Place a fixed Hologram somewhere relative to the cars interior (e.g. on the windshield)

Problem:
As soon as the car starts moving, MS HoloLens tries to update the environment mapping and the fixed position gets lost.

Idea:
Limit spacial mapping to a distance of e.g. 1 meter so the MS HoloLens just keeps the spacial mapping inside the car and does not get confused when the car starts moving.

Thinking further:
I think also the IMU would cause some problems when the car starts moving - so is there any way the above use case could be implemented?

Any thoughts welcome,
Thanks,
Johannes

Comments

• Options

@elektrobitsv said:
    (of course as passenger :smile: )

OH THANK GOD, Ok, I was afraid for a moment,
    make sure to put a disclaimer in the app launch ok?

It sounds to be like one good solution may be to use Vuforia for this,
    allowing for the HoloLens to recognize a specific texture or design placed within the vehicle and rely on that rather than spatial mapping.

At the very least that would be a temporary solution, but the device will still be working hard to constantly map its surroundings.

• Options

Thanks Alan,
    yes, positioning relative to a specific texture sounds like a good approach. I will try that out with Vuforia.
    I will also try to find a way to disable constant spatial mapping.

Cheers,
    Johannes

• Options

Hi Johannes,

Is this solution worked for you ?
    Thanks

• Options

Hi, not started yet, but most likely within the next weeks. - will update here on the result.

Cheers,
    Johannes

• Options

There should be a 'travelling' option where it disables mapping and fixes objects relative just to the Hololens (could use on a train, in a car or walking). The apps might not be quite as fixed as if mapped to surfaces but good enough to watch video, check Twitter etc.

• Options

Yes I have tried by just masking the spatial mapping cameras and it's not so bad. it may need a re-calibration sometimes.
    Do you know a way in a Unity application to disable by software the internal spatial mapping ?

• Options
    NiklasNiklas
    edited May 2017

Hey folks!

Did you had any success yet? I'm facing the same problem - I want to use the HoloLens in a moving environment (a car).

My first approach using standard settings for the SpatialObserver failed miserably: I've seen the "Trying to map your surroundings..." overlay constantly. Then I changed some parameters in the hope that I can fix the issue: Set Observer Volume Type to Oriented Box instead of Axis Aligned Box and restricted the Extents to 2x2x2 m. This should be enough to capture the car volume from within.

In both tries, I started the observer to capture the inside of the car, made sure that the spatial mesh looks nicely and then stopped the observer. In theory, I now should have a frame of reference which the HoloLens can orientate at. When I start moving, this 2x2x2 volume keeps constant while the outer volume changes, but this shouldn't be detected and processed anyways because I stopped the observer. But in fact, my holograms get lost (stay at their global place) as soon as I start moving...

Anyone any ideas on that?