Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Drop framerate ridiculously - Unity

edited November 2016 in Questions And Answers

Hello everybody, nice to belong here ^^.

My question is simple, when I get close to an hologram (Standar Unity Cube Asset rotatin 5 degrees in 4 seconds) more than 1 meter the frame rate falls dramatically (never less than 30 fps). I am using the fastest quality settings, the standard fast material (from HoloToolkits) and everything sets up as it should be, including building it as a release in Visual Studio.

Is there something wrong? Is it just the hololens limitation? Because there could be things that require being looked closer for that reason I would like to know.

Thank you so much for your help.

Your faithfully,

HoloLearning.

Answers

• Options

I have noticed frame rate drops alot when app is compiled in debug mode. Try release mode when building it in visual studio.

• Options

OK I should have read you do release mode. Sometimes if your near and far clipping plane are not set within floating point range, you can get floating point errors. It may be possible these are occurring for you when you get real close to an object. I have seen this with SGI Performer, OSG, other scene graph tools.

• Options

@randyiform said:
    OK I should have read you do release mode. Sometimes if your near and far clipping plane are not set within floating point range, you can get floating point errors. It may be possible these are occurring for you when you get real close to an object. I have seen this with SGI Performer, OSG, other scene graph tools.

Ok then I would try to keep the clipping plane with the best fit possible. Thank you so much.

• Options

Hi @HoloLearning
    I assume you carried out all the recommendations in windows holographic performance_recommendations

Check out HoloToolkit Framerate display

• Options

@Jimbohalo10 said:
    Hi @HoloLearning
    I assume you carried out all the recommendations in windows holographic performance_recommendations

Check out HoloToolkit Framerate display

Well I am a 3D designer and work purely with Unity so I modified the parameters that I hadn't noticed such as 16 bit buffer, DXT-5 compresion for the textures and the field of view to 5º. It improved but is not enough, I am using the 'StandarFast' Material still the same, 60 fps but when I get closer more than 1,5 meters it drops to 30, and it's a model of 26k polygons with diffuse and normal map at 1024.

I believe that is not too much but maybe I am wrong.

Thank you so much for your reply ^^