Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Running Hololens development in Azure

I'm trying to get started on Hololens development in Azure, and think I have my environment and required software all installed - all seems good until I try to launch the emulator - I'm getting an error in setting the # of processors and type of processor - only help online is re: phone emulators. Any guidance?

Tagged:

Answers

• To give the specific message:
    The emulator is unable to set some properties on the virtual machine

Couldn't change Processor of the virtual machine: 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' failed to modify device 'Processor'. (Virtual machine ID [GUID HERE])

Cannot assign the specified number of processors for virtual machine 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' is out of range. The range is 1 through 2 (Virtual machine ID [GUID HERE])

• In Azure you must set the number and type of processor. Basic, free wont work. To make this work you must have a size of virtual processor A4 Large or above 7GB 4core on a windows 2012 with latest updates may work domain server off. How the HoloLens Emulator will communicate will need to be investigated as you will need to open windows firewall.

• BoneSpikeBoneSpike
    edited April 2016

hrm - I've upped the box from D2 to D3 and got past that error, but now am getting ( I am going to bump up to D4):
    'The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virtual machine 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' because of one of the Hyper-V components is not running (Virtual machine ID [GUID]).

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

In Azure you have to switch hyper-v on from the Server Management panel and configure hyper-v management to start, and maybe install, reboot. In a Windows box this is accessed as the Features box in control panel. If you can do admin command Ipconfig/all you will see the Hyper-v network and the configuration profile is sent via the network.
    I don't think you can start it remotely

• BoneSpikeBoneSpike
    edited April 2016

It looks like Hyper-v Feature was running fine - could there be an issue running virtualization within virtualization? Now that I'm home, I'm trying all the setup on physical hardware. Would prefer VMs - but prefer it working more... :)

• Still no luck - has anyone else gotten the hololens emulator running within a VM (AWS or Azure)? I tried on physical hardware, but the emulator failed on installation (of course).

edited April 2016

@BoneSpike said:
    It looks like Hyper-v Feature was running fine - could there be an issue running virtualization within virtualization? Now that I'm home, I'm trying all the setup on physical hardware. Would prefer VMs - but prefer it working more... :)

I believe you are running out of memory for the emulator. Here is the memory consumption map as the HoloLens emulator at start-up

See the step increase nearly using all memory on machine. I really need 12GB not 8GB, because I keep getting Hyper-v out of memory emulator start-up errors and need to restart the Windows 10

• I've got the same issue here and have reached the error "Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virual machine 'Hololens Emulator' because one of the Hyper-V components is not running. So it sounds like I need to turn Hyper-V on, but I'm running this as an Azure VM. How do I do turn Hyper-V on? I can't find the settings in the Azure management portal.

edited April 2016

Power shell Get-VM
    Will get the status of Hyper but its the virtual processor like you have to remote into the CPU and its name
    wish I could help more but my account is disabled, didn't pay any more.

• Finally the definitive answer here Hyper-V

Quote:-
    The Hyper-V role is not supported on Windows Azure Virtual Machines. For a list of supported server roles on Windows Azure Virtual Machines, see Microsoft server software support for Windows Azure Virtual Machines.

• @BoneSpike said:
    To give the specific message:
    The emulator is unable to set some properties on the virtual machine

Couldn't change Processor of the virtual machine: 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' failed to modify device 'Processor'. (Virtual machine ID [GUID HERE])

Cannot assign the specified number of processors for virtual machine 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' is out of range. The range is 1 through 2 (Virtual machine ID [GUID HERE])

• how did you come over the problem of emulator not able to set some properties on the virtual machine. Could you please help me with a solution.

Thankyou.

• Did anyone get past the error mentioned in the second post by the OP?
    Any help will be appreciated.