Running Hololens development in Azure

I'm trying to get started on Hololens development in Azure, and think I have my environment and required software all installed - all seems good until I try to launch the emulator - I'm getting an error in setting the # of processors and type of processor - only help online is re: phone emulators. Any guidance?

Tagged:

Answers

• To give the specific message:
    The emulator is unable to set some properties on the virtual machine

Couldn't change Processor of the virtual machine: 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' failed to modify device 'Processor'. (Virtual machine ID [GUID HERE])

Cannot assign the specified number of processors for virtual machine 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' is out of range. The range is 1 through 2 (Virtual machine ID [GUID HERE])

• In Azure you must set the number and type of processor. Basic, free wont work. To make this work you must have a size of virtual processor A4 Large or above 7GB 4core on a windows 2012 with latest updates may work domain server off. How the HoloLens Emulator will communicate will need to be investigated as you will need to open windows firewall.

• BoneSpikeBoneSpike
    edited April 2016

hrm - I've upped the box from D2 to D3 and got past that error, but now am getting ( I am going to bump up to D4):
    'The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virtual machine 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' because of one of the Hyper-V components is not running (Virtual machine ID [GUID]).

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

In Azure you have to switch hyper-v on from the Server Management panel and configure hyper-v management to start, and maybe install, reboot. In a Windows box this is accessed as the Features box in control panel. If you can do admin command Ipconfig/all you will see the Hyper-v network and the configuration profile is sent via the network.
    I don't think you can start it remotely

• BoneSpikeBoneSpike
    edited April 2016

It looks like Hyper-v Feature was running fine - could there be an issue running virtualization within virtualization? Now that I'm home, I'm trying all the setup on physical hardware. Would prefer VMs - but prefer it working more... :)

• Still no luck - has anyone else gotten the hololens emulator running within a VM (AWS or Azure)? I tried on physical hardware, but the emulator failed on installation (of course).

edited April 2016

@BoneSpike said:
    It looks like Hyper-v Feature was running fine - could there be an issue running virtualization within virtualization? Now that I'm home, I'm trying all the setup on physical hardware. Would prefer VMs - but prefer it working more... :)

I believe you are running out of memory for the emulator. Here is the memory consumption map as the HoloLens emulator at start-up

See the step increase nearly using all memory on machine. I really need 12GB not 8GB, because I keep getting Hyper-v out of memory emulator start-up errors and need to restart the Windows 10

• I've got the same issue here and have reached the error "Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virual machine 'Hololens Emulator' because one of the Hyper-V components is not running. So it sounds like I need to turn Hyper-V on, but I'm running this as an Azure VM. How do I do turn Hyper-V on? I can't find the settings in the Azure management portal.

edited April 2016

Power shell Get-VM
    Will get the status of Hyper but its the virtual processor like you have to remote into the CPU and its name
    wish I could help more but my account is disabled, didn't pay any more.

• Finally the definitive answer here Hyper-V

Quote:-
    The Hyper-V role is not supported on Windows Azure Virtual Machines. For a list of supported server roles on Windows Azure Virtual Machines, see Microsoft server software support for Windows Azure Virtual Machines.

• @BoneSpike said:
    To give the specific message:
    The emulator is unable to set some properties on the virtual machine

Couldn't change Processor of the virtual machine: 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' failed to modify device 'Processor'. (Virtual machine ID [GUID HERE])

Cannot assign the specified number of processors for virtual machine 'HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039.user.name' is out of range. The range is 1 through 2 (Virtual machine ID [GUID HERE])

• how did you come over the problem of emulator not able to set some properties on the virtual machine. Could you please help me with a solution.

Thankyou.

• Did anyone get past the error mentioned in the second post by the OP?
    Any help will be appreciated.