Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Randomly can't deploy to device due to "Unexpected Error: -2145615869"

abiggsabiggs
edited April 2016 in Questions And Answers

Occasionally, when trying to deploy my application to the device, I start getting an "Unexpected Error: -2145615869" error in the console that prevents me from deploying. Usually I have been able to make the error go away by switching my deploy method from "Remote Machine" to "Device" or vice-versa, but sometimes it persists.

My application is very simple(a directional light and the Main Camera prefab from the HoloToolkit) so I don't think the issue is with my app itself.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and figured out a reliable workaround?

Best Answers

• Options
    MondayMonday admin
    Answer ✓

Abiggs,
    Are you using Unity? I ran into this last night as well... My solution was to delete the folder I build my UWP app to and rebuild a fresh UWP app in Unity.

It has seemed to start happening when I added some more "Capabilities" in the project settings after I already have built the project with no capabilities.

It is not the best work around, but let me know if it works and if it does, I will talk to someone about filing a bug.

• Options
    AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016 Answer ✓

Found an easier work around - Just restart Visual Studio.

In my case it happens even without changing capabilities, almost at random.
    Would be interested in what really causes it.

Answers

• Options
    MondayMonday admin
    Answer ✓

Abiggs,
    Are you using Unity? I ran into this last night as well... My solution was to delete the folder I build my UWP app to and rebuild a fresh UWP app in Unity.

It has seemed to start happening when I added some more "Capabilities" in the project settings after I already have built the project with no capabilities.

It is not the best work around, but let me know if it works and if it does, I will talk to someone about filing a bug.

• Options

Hey Monday, yes, using Unity. Good point about deleting the UWP folder -- I noticed last night that I was able to make the error go away by wiping out both that and my built visual studio project folder, but was waiting to see if I could repro one more time before posting an answer. Thanks for confirming this worked on your end too!

• Options
    AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016 Answer ✓

Found an easier work around - Just restart Visual Studio.

In my case it happens even without changing capabilities, almost at random.
    Would be interested in what really causes it.

• Options

I've found, or at least it seems to me, that this problem occurs when the device shuts off in between deployments. Restarting helps, but it sure is annoying.

• Options
    dvroegopdvroegop
    edited April 2016

Same here. I can occasionally deploy to the device. Usually I get that same error when I try to deploy of Wifi. Restarting VS works though. It is quite annoying...

After some more analysis I can confirm that this happens after the device shuts down. Since the standard time for this is after 3 minutes of interactivity I suggest we start up the debugger at least once every 3 minutes...

Dennis Vroegop
    Emerging Experiences MVP

• Options

Just confirming that I had the same problem (DEP0001 : Unexpected Error: -2145615869) and restarting Visual Studio fixed the problem.

Mikey Wetzel

• Options

@dvroegop said:
    After some more analysis I can confirm that this happens after the device shuts down. Since the standard time for this is after 3 minutes of interactivity I suggest we start up the debugger at least once every 3 minutes...

If you open the device portal, you can set the sleep timeout to a longer period, which should be an easier step than running debug every 3 minutes... :)

• Options

Hopefully this gets fixed. It doesn't happen just because the device goes to sleep. It happens "almost" every time I exit the app.

Restarting Visual Studio each time on my Surface is real fast, but one would hope we can get a real fix.

I'm running VS 2015 Update 2, so maybe it is fixed in Update 3? #hope

• Options

I also get this error about once every 5 or 6 times I deploy to the device. At first I thought it was related to the device not being "fully" woken up or something, but after some testing I don't think it has anything to do with that, and while I'm sure there is some cause, it seems totally random, and restarting VS will always "fix" it.