Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Remote Debugging freezes

Been using the hololens for 1.5 days now, and the big re-ocurring issue I seem to have is debugging. If I start with the debugger attached, I have a 50/50 chance it will work. The times it doesnt work, I never see the Unity splash screen, it freezes just before. No exceptions, just the following in my output window:

Module information:
Built with Compiler Ver '190023026'
Built from '5.4/platform/winrt/hololens' branch
Version is '5.4.0b10-HTP (24077ef8c12f)'
Debug build
Application type 'D3D11'
Used 'UWP'

PlayerConnection initialized from C:/Data/Users/DefaultAccount/AppData/Local/DevelopmentFiles/CarDemoVS.Debug_x86.jboulang/Data (debug = 0)

PlayerConnection initialized network socket : 0.0.0.0 55178

Multi-casting "[IP] 192.168.1.102 [Port] 55178 [Flags] 2 [Guid] 527585914 [EditorId] 4294967295 [Version] 1048832 [Id] MetroPlayerX86(cr-hololens-01) [Debug] 0" to [225.0.0.222:54997]...

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1

Direct3D:

Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]

Renderer: HoloLens Graphics (ID=0x22b0)

Vendor:   Intel

VRAM:     604 MB

Initialize engine version: 5.4.0b10-HTP (24077ef8c12f)

ViewSwitch Attempt Done : 1

'Car Demo.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\CarDemoVS.Debug_x86.jboulang\System.Runtime.Extensions.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'Car Demo.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\CarDemoVS.Debug_x86.jboulang\UnityEngineProxy.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Car Demo.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\CarDemoVS.Debug_x86.jboulang\UnityEngine.Analytics.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'Car Demo.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\CarDemoVS.Debug_x86.jboulang\System.Linq.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
Disabling independent input source.

Logical Screen DPI is 144.00.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Options

What i have seen here with debugging is if you let the hololens go to sleep or turn off you will need to restart visual studio. Not sure why this happens or if it only happens to me but it seems that the visual studio does not let go of some object.
    Did you do the updates on windows, unity,visual studio and the hololens?

• Options

Discussed with a few answers (similar to @Calzaretta suggestion) in another thread.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

@Calzaretta yup, i experience the same thing, however, this is different. It deploy's launches, seems like its going to start, and right about where you would see the splash screen for your app, it hangs.

@HoloSheep I've commented in that discussion, and stated the same thing @Calzaretta is stating here, but my problem is not that I can't deploy, it's that I cannot run the application with the debugger attached because the app seems to just stop running. It doesn't always happen, its like 50% of the time that it occurs, and restarting VS doesn't help like it does when you cannot deploy.

And for further information this is on the device, not the emulator.

• Options

@jboulanger does the "setting the Uninstall checkbox in the project properties to true" approach that I mentioned in this other post have any positive impact for you with this problem?

I was seeing the DEP6957 error the first time when connected to the emulator, but it took me a while to pin down the connection that it was related to the later instability and that there was a pattern.

Since you are deploying directly to the device (and I don't yet have a device to test it on) the symptoms might vary, but there is a chance that having VS uninstall the previous build might also clean up something that is causing the 50/50 deployment success you are seeing.

That said, you may already being doing this or have tried it since the idea is based on something you suggested to me in the first place (albeit for a different issue). :)

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

@HoloSheep I'll have to try that, I don't recall ever actually trying that ;) Thanks for the suggestion I'll let you know.