Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

45 degree slanted wall like in Bonus room above garage

I've been using my HoloLens in my bonus room above my garage and about half way up the wall it starts to slant at a 45 degree angle to the ceiling.
I've been trying to pin screen on that slant and it's just impossible. Also when playing RoboRaid when shooting at the slant it does not blow holes in it like it does the rest of the walls.
Also when RoboRaid scans the room, it really struggles at the corners of the room. It usually leave a gap in the red mapping mesh at every corner of the room.

Answers

• Options
    wintermootwintermoot ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Im curious if varying the lighting causes any differences in behavior. Like direct/indirect/diffuse light cast at the surface. You could also save out the room from the device portal and check for hallucinations

• Options
    The plane finding sample looks for planes that are near horizontal/vertical, so I'm guessing that something similar is used in RoboRaid. Seems like there is a case to be made for including surfaces at some common angles that are greater than some minimum area.
  • Options

Let me clarify I little on my first point, I can pin the screen from the start menu like Edge to the slant, it just will not pin at a 45 degree angle, it pins straight up and down.

When it comes to RoboRaid it's a bit annoying not being able to blow holes in the slant but at least not being able to scan corners of the room does not seems to affect the gameplay really. The gameplay is still very good.

Also when exporting the room I did not see any hallucinations but I'm not sure that's the same room used in the game. It seems like RoboRaid does not use the same rooms. Different lighting conditions did not seem to make a difference either.

Overall I'm very impressed.

• Options

I believe that Windows are deliberately shown upright. Up and down may be inferred by sensing floor and walls or with a gravity sensor -- maybe someone can clarity. Maybe they'll later add support allowing pinning on non-vertical surfaces.

Also, I'd guess that RoboRaid chooses vertical surfaces to increase the likelihood of getting a legit wall, since that works to give the game more reality (since the exposed features behind the wall have brick, pipes, etc.). You can fool the game into showing unreal stuff, such as by getting stuff to spawn from a door, but I think that we'd agree that given the complexity of the task, the developers have done a great job making the game work.

Things I'd like to see down the road include larger room capacity or more agility moving between adjacent rooms, but overall I can't complain. It's really a new sort of game and it works pretty well for something so new.