Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

link the virtual object to a car

If we use the Hololens in a car, the holograms will be left behind when the car moves. Can we linked the holograms to the car?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

I have this same area of interest and have been experimenting a bit. The application in question will be a machine with an operator in a cab, but same concept. What I have observed is this:

1. The holograms from the Holograms app "want" to stay in the cab. But too much movement and they disappear while the device rescans. Sometimes is seems to say "ah, we're in the same room" so it puts the hologram back in place. But soon or later (typically not too long) the device actually gets quite messed up. The scanning stops working, ghost images, even orientation of messages are off. Toggling the HL off and on seems to reset it and the hologram appears again.
    2. I then set up a test project with SpatialMapping on board and used TapToPlace to place a cube in the same basic place. This does not work as well as the holograms app. The cube disappears pretty quick and never comes back, at least in the few tests I ran. In fact the scanning just stopped and the meshes were gone. And then I discovered, as I was sitting in my car in front of my house (end of dead end street, its ok) with the HL on, if I glanced back to the house there was a mesh inside and my cube was sitting on it! I got out of the card and walked inside and found my cube in the kitchen. Quite strange really. I tried reducing the scan Extents to 2.5 on the SpatialMappingObserver but that didn't seem to help.

As you thought, @HoloSheep , the gyros definitely seem to play a role in causing problems for this scenario.

I'm trying to find a way to keep holograms placed inside the cab in place even as the machine moves around. I looked at attached frames of reference but this appears only available in the DirectX implementation and not directly as an option in Unity C# scripts (with some work could be made to work together I suppose but might be easier to just do something in C# with coord transforms etc.).

Would love to hear ideas on how to make this happen. Have been looking at Vuforia objects but from what people are saying there is an unacceptable lag in the position updates there. I have a 3d model of the "stock" cab that could be used but unsure how to accurately relate that to the user viewpoint especially if the idea is to use that model instead of the observed spatial landscape. Seems like you'd still have to make some observations to orient it correctly etc.