Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Black screen in emulator after deploying the Origami project

The emulator seems to be installed correctly since I get the startup screen on the emulator that says "Hey Cortana" and has the startup tiles on it. Then I get a "Made with Unity" splash and then the emulator goes all black. Any ideas on what might be going on?

I get no errors or warnings on Visual Studio.

Answers

• This most likely means it's working but your camera or view perspective is not where the hologram is. try moving back (pressing "s" key on your keyboard, or turning your head from side to side (left and right arrow keys).

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• Thanks for the suggestion, but it still doesn't work. I redid the steps in the video a couple times to make sure I hadn't missed a step and the result is the same.

Just for kicks, I tried choosing "Simulator" as the target instead of the HoloLens Emulator and I got window in an emulated copy of my desktop with the scene from Unity.

• When you first run the demo it will be an all black screen. Depending on where the hologram is placed and where the camera is, you may be in front or too far away from the hologram. If you're not getting an error, the most like issue is that you have to move around the scene to see the hologram. All black means that on a Real HoloLens you'll see your real life background. To move around press "a"or "w" or "s" or "d". To turn your head left, right, up and down use your respective arrow keys.

Also is there light shining on the hologram? You unity environment should have light shining on the hologram. Which if you followed the tutorial then you should have the light.

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• I start with cube project and I change it to render my own object. Same code works in my Xbox one. I use context->DrawInstanced(count, 1, startIndex, 0) and D3D11_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_TRIANGLESTRIP.

Emulator screen is black. But when I debug it with "Graphics Debugging" and I capture frames, frames has my object right way. Object in captured frames also moves when move "black" screen.

So my program seems to work right if I look captured frames, but emulator screen is black.

What can be reason of this?

• This can be reproduced easy way. Two changes to "Cube" default Project.

// TRIANGLELIST to TRIANGLESTRIP
    context->IASetPrimitiveTopology(D3D11_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_TRIANGLESTRIP);

// DrawIndexedInstanced to DrawInstanced
    context->DrawInstanced(5, 1, 0, 0);

Then screen is black, but Captured frames are OK.

• I had the same issue, in my case it turned out to be that I hadn't gotten the script WorldCursor to attach to the Cursor GameObject. After redoing that part and recompiling the scene renders correctly. HTH//Anders

Owner of the startup Information Experience Sweden AB, http://informationexperience.se
    Information Management, SharePoint, CAD, Visualization for AEC. Architecting and developing solutions for HoloLens, combined with AR Toolkit, Kinect, RealSense, Leap Motion.

• I have the same issue. I tried looking at everything and it looks right just like the tutorial, but it's all dark. I guess Ill go through again and see if anything changes...

• @Jappe said:
    This can be reproduced easy way. Two changes to "Cube" default Project.

// TRIANGLELIST to TRIANGLESTRIP
    context->IASetPrimitiveTopology(D3D11_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_TRIANGLESTRIP);

// DrawIndexedInstanced to DrawInstanced
    context->DrawInstanced(5, 1, 0, 0);

Then screen is black, but Captured frames are OK.

I install new emulator version, Still same problem. When I take pictures in graphic emulator, I see my object, but screen is black. This is very easy to reproduce. In cube project do those two changes to code.

• The cube is black. The tutorial is incorrect. It asks you to set the clear to black which means that you are attempting to see a black cube on a black background. Change the background and the cube appears.

I just moved on to the origami project and that set of samples is more clear.

• https://hyskypower.blob.core.windows.net/commandengine/cedc6c91e7a34464b81fe4f238502b1b.jpg

I change background to blue, but same result.Element is not black. Look picture. Graphichs emulator snapshot shows element, but screen is totally blue.

• I found that DrawInstanced does not work (it works in phone and pc UWP). I start to use DrawIndexedInstanced with TRIANGLESTRIP based model.

• Hi,

I had exactly the same problem today when trying to get the samples running on the emulator - spent an hour trying to figure out the problem..but it turned out to be the graphics card in my laptop. I am running a Dell XPS 13 with Intel HD5500 graphics - and with default settings, the emulator would show windows holographic & associate apps, but running any Unity app would give a black screen.

To fix it, I loaded the "tools" (from the right hand menu) and disabled desktop graphics acceleration. Suddenly everything started working :) I've not seen any performance hit as yet - and hopefully will have a real device later this week so won't be an issue...but may be helpful for anyone who is still seeing this problem. Try to turn off the acceleration!

• @Spud211 said:
    Hi,

I had exactly the same problem today when trying to get the samples running on the emulator - spent an hour trying to figure out the problem..but it turned out to be the graphics card in my laptop. I am running a Dell XPS 13 with Intel HD5500 graphics - and with default settings, the emulator would show windows holographic & associate apps, but running any Unity app would give a black screen.

To fix it, I loaded the "tools" (from the right hand menu) and disabled desktop graphics acceleration. Suddenly everything started working :) I've not seen any performance hit as yet - and hopefully will have a real device later this week so won't be an issue...but may be helpful for anyone who is still seeing this problem. Try to turn off the acceleration!

this worked for me thanks!
    I am running an msi ge70

• @Jappe you are a life saver. The device was showing a the frame being rendered, capture frame in the graphics debugger was working but the emulator was not. DrawIndexedInstanced was indeed the fix

• @Spud211 you are a life saver man Thanks !!