Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

The Price

Dear Microsoft,
I was recently accepted into the Microsoft Hololens Beta Group. I am overjoyed that my application was accepted. I truly believe that the Hololens may be the next breakthrough in technology. I have what it takes to be a successful programmer in the industry. The Hololens is a device that allows the user to interact with holograms that are projected. This can change many things drastically such as engineering and architecture and you will be able to get more hands on with the project. The developers for the Hololens need to have a good background in programming, a knowledge in software development, as well as good leadership skills as we will be the people who will be leading the whole group project of the Hololens. I have only one problem with the Hololens. I am willing to work for up to 10 hours a week without any pay to develop and enhance this creation. However, I do not believe that I will be able to afford the hefty price tag of $3000. I am currently going through some financial hardships and the price is too much to afford. If I could I would but I cant sacrifice a place to sleep and clothes and food. I do agree that there needs to be a price tag but I am requesting that if you may please, can you mark it down a little bit? The price can be discussed in private but I truly believe that the Hololens is the next big thing.

Sincerely,
Rohan Kumar(Future Hololens Developer)

Answers

• Options

Hey!!!...i am working 2 full time jobs so I can afford to get one. If I can do this...YOU can too.

• Options
    james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

@rkumar0316 with the HoloLens Emulator, you will be able to develop HoloLens apps (and possibly even publish to Windows Store in the future) without actually owning a device. I think you'll be in a really great position to be an HL developer even if your budget is tight, right now. Plus we're all in this together. If you need to try out on a real device at some point, I'm positive someone in these forums will be willing to help you out. Good luck! I'm happy to building the future of AR with you. :)

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

@james_ashley thank you so much for the feedback and information about the HoloLens Emulator, I will definitely try that out. The biggest reason why price is my concern is because I am in college right now and every penny i get is getting used. I don't have enough time to work another job as I can only do about 1 hour a day and about 6 to 8 hours on the weekends. All of the local jobs require at least 2 hours a day and I just cant do that. However, I really would like to look into the Hololens Emulator you mentioned.

• Options

@rkumar0316 said:
    @james_ashley thank you so much for the feedback and information about the HoloLens Emulator, I will definitely try that out. The biggest reason why price is my concern is because I am in college right now and every penny i get is getting used. I don't have enough time to work another job as I can only do about 1 hour a day and about 6 to 8 hours on the weekends. All of the local jobs require at least 2 hours a day and I just cant do that. However, I really would like to look into the Hololens Emulator you mentioned.

There's been quite a bit of folks interested in the emulator and we've referenced it quite a bit in forum responses. We posted our developer documentation Monday which included a rich set of materials about the emulator:

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/holographic/using_the_hololens_emulator
    https://dev.windows.com/en-us/holographic/advanced_emulator_input

Hope this helps!

• Options

I assume this is $3000 in US dollars:(

• Options

Yes, $3000 per device. Assuming your wave is up, you can then purchase up to 2 devices.

• Options

@CoreyGoff said:
    Yes, $3000 per device. Assuming your wave is up, you can then purchase up to 2 devices.

I will save money to buy one, even though I want to buy 2 and enjoy fun with my family together ... but $6,000 :'(