Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

First App - I Want a hologram, not a windowed 3d app

I'm in wave 2, can't wait for my device. Meanwhile, I've been learning Unity and have had very good luck with my first app which is intended to be a viewer of Protein Molecules I can parse the files and draw each atom in Unity easily. I can easily move the molecule around too (rotate, etc). All good.

And I got this up and running easily in the emulator too. I can "tap to place" the app in the room and that works fine. The default has a window border with the menu at the top and I learned that if I change the build setting for "Virtual Reality Supported" then there will be no window border. That works fine.

My original vision for this app is to display the molecule in 3d and then walk around it. Not to have a window where I manipulate it. In simple terms I want to be able to get "behind" the window that I place in the world. is that even possible?

I guess I want to build a hologram like the ballerina, the elephant, or the breakdancing kid in the hologram app. Am I on the right track? What do I need to do differently in order to place a hologram that I can walk around?

Best Answer

• Options
    MichealMicheal ✭✭
    edited April 2016 Answer ✓

With virtual reality checked, you should be able to walk behind your holographic content. Be sure to set the near clipping plane on your camera to 0.85 for an accurate representation of when the object will go out of view, and turn the clear flags to solid color and set the background to 0 (black). Using the spatial mapping script in the holotoolkit may be of some assistance here to help orient yourself.

From what I've read, it appears that we don't have much control over what the window looks like in the lobby/main menu area of Hololens yet. Once we have access to the tiles API, this will hopefully open things up and allow the windows users place and launch apps from, look more like holograms.

Hopefully this helps!

PS: Hold shift to move faster in the emulator.

Answers

• Options
    MichealMicheal ✭✭
    edited April 2016 Answer ✓

With virtual reality checked, you should be able to walk behind your holographic content. Be sure to set the near clipping plane on your camera to 0.85 for an accurate representation of when the object will go out of view, and turn the clear flags to solid color and set the background to 0 (black). Using the spatial mapping script in the holotoolkit may be of some assistance here to help orient yourself.

From what I've read, it appears that we don't have much control over what the window looks like in the lobby/main menu area of Hololens yet. Once we have access to the tiles API, this will hopefully open things up and allow the windows users place and launch apps from, look more like holograms.

Hopefully this helps!

PS: Hold shift to move faster in the emulator.

• Options
    Also make sure you set the background to black with NO alpha (0)

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• Options

@Micheal where I can find this "virtual reality" checkbox?

• Options

Nevermind, I found where is buried the option. Edit/Project Settings/Player/Other Settings. check "use 16-bit depth buffers" and "virtual reality supported". In "publishing settings/capabilities" check "spatial perception". Thanks anyway

• Options

Hi All,

I am building an application that renders a video over a quad surface in HoloLens.
    I followed the steps mentioned above to make my app virtual reality supported. However after doing that I am facing one issue, My View (which is coming in HoloLens after deploying the app) is zoomed up a lot. Before clicking on 'virtual reality supported" the view was not zoomed in & it use to render normally.

Any pointers on how to resolve this?

• Options

SOLUTION:
    You must add Windows Holographic SDK in Build Settings/Player window, see attached image. Cheers!