Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

New Unity Technical Preview - 5.4b14

CoreyGoffCoreyGoff admin
edited April 2016 in Questions And Answers

unity3d.com/pages/windows/hololens

Today, Unity released a new Technical Preview for HoloLens - beta 14. Check out the release notes at the website above and let us know if you find issues.

Happy building!

Comments

• I'm having issues with the current 5.4.0b10-HTP. when I work with my Dell 34" curved monitor (3440x1440) the app crash. This monitor is handled by one ATI video card using the latest driver. I already sent the report to Unity. I'm going to install this new beta, maybe can fix the problem.

• I am using the same tutorial and project files:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/holograms_101e

Project File:
    https://github.com/Microsoft/HolographicAcademy/archive/Holograms-101.zip

Unity build:
    Unity Hololens 5.4.0b14-HTP (64-bit)

Visual Studio Update 2

All I get is errors:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error CS1061 'SurfaceObserver' does not contain a definition for 'OnSurfaceChanged' and no extension method 'OnSurfaceChanged' accepting a first argument of type 'SurfaceObserver' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) Origami.CSharp D:_SDKs_Drivers_Installs\Hololens\HolographicAcademy-Holograms-101\HolographicAcademy-Holograms-101\Origami\Assets\Holograms\Support\Spatial Mapping\SpatialMapping.cs 44 Active

Error CS7036 There is no argument given that corresponds to the required formal parameter 'onSurfaceChanged' of 'SurfaceObserver.Update(SurfaceObserver.SurfaceChangedDelegate)' Origami.CSharp D:_SDKs_Drivers_Installs\Hololens\HolographicAcademy-Holograms-101\HolographicAcademy-Holograms-101\Origami\Assets\Holograms\Support\Spatial Mapping\SpatialMapping.cs 54 Active

Error CS7036 There is no argument given that corresponds to the required formal parameter 'onDataReady' of 'SurfaceObserver.RequestMeshAsync(SurfaceData, SurfaceObserver.SurfaceDataReadyDelegate)' Origami.CSharp D:_SDKs_Drivers_Installs\Hololens\HolographicAcademy-Holograms-101\HolographicAcademy-Holograms-101\Origami\Assets\Holograms\Support\Spatial Mapping\SpatialMapping.cs 116 Active

Error Type UnityEngine.VR.WSA.SurfaceObserver' does not contain a definition forOnSurfaceChanged' and no extension method OnSurfaceChanged' of typeUnityEngine.VR.WSA.SurfaceObserver' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) Solution 'Origami' ‎(1 project) Assets/Holograms/Support/Spatial Mapping/SpatialMapping.cs 44

Error No overload for method Update' takes0' arguments Solution 'Origami' ‎(1 project) Assets/Holograms/Support/Spatial Mapping/SpatialMapping.cs 54

Error An object reference is required to access non-static member `UnityEngine.VR.WSA.SurfaceObserver.RequestMeshAsync(UnityEngine.VR.WSA.SurfaceData, UnityEngine.VR.WSA.SurfaceObserver.SurfaceDataReadyDelegate)' Solution 'Origami' ‎(1 project) Assets/Holograms/Support/Spatial Mapping/SpatialMapping.cs 116

Are there any Hololens-Unity tutorials that do work and compile? Are the HoloLens academy tutorials supposed to work with the latest technical preview? If not, are there any tutorials that will work and be useful?

Thanks

• And to make matters worse it seems the previous b10 version is not available for download anymore :(

• The new version b14 now works better, than the earlier b10,for me. I followed the Latest update information and received a message of my previously attempted builds saying this was a newer version of Unity. Upgraded the project almost instantly :smiley: , unlike the older b10 version.
    Here is the Unity link http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/hololens
    to the updates, follow sequence Open Main unity, then install the Metro updates.

Install the UWP, regardless of whether you think it needs updates. I got major failures not applying "UWP Runtime".

I have the latest (ToolKit 1.3.1) installed in Visual Studio Community 2012 Update 2 and UWP Windows 10, before doing the following:
    Quote see link above :-

Latest Beta
    Please note that the Technical Preview can be installed along side other Unity builds including the 5.4 public Beta.

1.First, install the 64-bit (Win) or 32-bit (Win) Editor Installer.
    2.Next install the UWP Runtime.
    3.Finally, optionally install the offline documentation.

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

@devdmans,

You need to install the new UWP Runtime (UnitySetup-Metro-Support-for-Editor-5.4.0b14-HTP).

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• I have all the latest installed. I still receive these errors.

Using this file, provided:
    https://github.com/Microsoft/HolographicAcademy/archive/Holograms-101.zip

Provided from the following link:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/holograms_101e

I also tried to make a new project and transfer assets from the project to a new one with the latest dlls, same error. The project does not compile.

Does anyone have these tutorials working on latest? v5.4.0b14-HTP

edited April 2016

@devdmans,

I have the first tutorial, pulled fresh with your link, running on latest.

Any chance you are using older tutorial code? It sounds similar to an issue from a few weeks ago concerning an incorrect version of SpatialMapping.cs.

James Ashley

• Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

I installed b14, the new metro support, and as a test started a new project. However, I no longer have 'Windows Holographic' as an option under VR support. Is this correct, am I suppose to select a a generic VR support option in this build?
    In regards to others, if you have issues with the new install, you should still have the old build on your computer. It looks like there is a new install folder for each build version in the programs folder.

Edit: Looks like 'Windows Holographic' has disappeared from both builds. Let me know if I'm supposed to use a different VR support option like the Oculus (which is what it defaults to),

Yes. It should be there under Player Settings | Other Settings | Virtual Reality SDKs | Windows Holographic. It is for me.

James Ashley

• Oh, nevermind.... I was under the wrong settings area. Once I clicked on Windows Store App settings it shows there. I feel a bit stupid, but if anyone else runs into that, now you know the answer ;-)

• bernieSFbernieSF ✭✭
    edited April 2016

I'm having this error on VS, when I try to "start without debugging"

Error The command ""E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\App\Unity\Tools\SerializationWeaver\SerializationWeaver.exe" "E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\bin\x86\Release\Unprocessed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll" -pdb -verbose -unity-engine="E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\App\Terrain\Unprocessed\UnityEngine.dll" -unity-networking=E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\App\Terrain\Unprocessed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll "E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\obj\x86\Release\x86\Release"" exited with code 1. Assembly-CSharp-firstpass E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.csproj 176

I installed the b14 update with the respective UWP for b14

• @bernieSF I had the exact same error. Rebooting solved it for me.

• Help! this update broke completely my dev environment. I rebooted the computer, deleted the 'App' folder, and now I have 125 errors!

• ahillierahillier mod
    edited April 2016

@bernieSF,
    It sounds like you need to start fresh. Close Unity and VS and then delete all folders in your Unity project except 'Assets' and 'ProjectSettings'. Then, reload your project in Unity (which will automatically rebuild the project library), and open the build settings to build again. Clearing out the mis-matched solution, UWP and library files should help get rid of the errors that you are hitting.
    ~Angela

• @bernieSF, you may have to do what @ahillier said. I have multiple Unity project setups going, and one I had setup for a test had the same issue you had. It looked like it was looking for files in the wrong directory for some reason, even though the directory structure never changed. I ended up recreating the project and moving over the assets, it worked after that.

• bernieSFbernieSF ✭✭
    edited April 2016

@ahillier @Jarrod1937 I removed the folders '.vs', 'App', 'Library' and 'UWP', also the files 'Terrain.CSharp' and 'Terrain.sln'. The result? I lost all the scene. The assets are there under the 'project' tab, but no scene on the 'hierarchy'. Just the default camera and default light. I made a backup before deleting those folders.
    I dragged the scene from the Assets to the Hierarchy and restored everything, rebuilt the project, and the same error, along with 3 more:

Error The command ""E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\App\Unity\Tools\SerializationWeaver\SerializationWeaver.exe" "E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\bin\x86\Release\Unprocessed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll" -pdb -verbose -unity-engine="E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\App\Terrain\Unprocessed\UnityEngine.dll" -unity-networking=E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\App\Terrain\Unprocessed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll "E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\obj\x86\Release\x86\Release"" exited with code 1. Assembly-CSharp-firstpass E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.csproj 176

this error 2 times----------------------------------------------------------------
    Error Metadata file 'E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\bin\x86\Release\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll' could not be found Assembly-CSharp E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp\CSC

Error Metadata file 'E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\UWP\Assembly-CSharp\bin\x86\Release\Assembly-CSharp.dll' could not be found Terrain E:\HoloLens projects\Terrain\Terrain\App\Terrain\CSC

• @Brekel said:
    And to make matters worse it seems the previous b10 version is not available for download anymore :(

There's an archive tab on this website with the b10 build: http://aka.ms/HoloLensUnity

• I think I'm going back to b10. Fortunately I have the setup and UWP support file saved on my computer. I have all day trying to put things to work, but no success.

• @bernieSF , you shouldn't need to reinstall. On my system the new build installed in a new folder alongside the other.
  • This new version of unity broke everything for me as well. Trying to go back to b10 but I don't have the install files for the UWP support for that version.

• @Jarrod1937 unfortunately I uninstalled the previous version, in order to recover some space. My primary boot hard disk is a SSD drive, and you know, those hard drives are smaller.

• @Jarrod1937 said:
    @bernieSF , you shouldn't need to reinstall. On my system the new build installed in a new folder alongside the other.

That's correct - the builds can exist side-by-side

• Guys, I had the same issue with the missing dll's after upgrading to 5-4b14. I moved the entire project folder to C:\unity\, deleted everything except the Assets and ProjectSettings folders, and bingo!it worked! Must be an issue with long path names?

• @Trev is right. I moved the project to c:\terrain, remove everything except Assets and ProjectSetting, and it worked! the theory of the long path sounds plausible.

• CZenzelCZenzel
    edited April 2016

Also looks like there is a problem if there are spaces in the name of the project. I had spaces within my project name and it errors. (or if there are spaces anywhere in the path).

I ran the Unity Command manually and it would say Assembly Not Found. Removing the spaces fixes the issues with the Unity project not compiling similar to those above.

Christopher Zenzel

Shaping the Future by Being a Leader in Technology while Living with Autism (ASD). Looking for Opportunities in Magic.

https://chriszenzel.com
    https://linkedin.com/in/chriszenzel

• @Trev Hah. @bernieSF Rookie mistake. Classic BS. I moved to a ridiculously short path and it worked as well. Thanks

@james_ashley Thanks for confirming it did indeed compile after Trevs classic short path fix did the trick.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    serializeWeaver.exe a unity build tool, will only allow about 180 character command parameter list so the more capabilities you add the less space you have for the directory path characters.
  • I'm having this problem with 5.40f1, I put more info here:
    https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/1824/cannot-build-and-deploy-to-hololens-anymore-serialweaver-input-line-too-long#latest

Can this serialweaver thing be worked around somehow??? I need to ship off a build of a project by Friday and can't get it to deploy.

ralphbarbagallo.com - flarb.com - @flarb

• I am facing the same problem and unable to resolve since 3 days, i have used Unity 5.6.1f1, Unity 5.6.2f1, Unity 2017.1.0f3 and Unity 2017.1.0p3 and the new Unity 2017.2.0b10 (64-bit). I have removed and rebuilt the .sln file multiple times, even created multiple projects from scratch. The issue persists.

I have looked at threads / solutions here, and other forums and tried those but the issue is still there. 1 thing is for sure that i am not doing correct settings or something is very wrong, because I have reinstalled Unity, Visual Studio.

Finally it worked with VS 2015 SP3 and Windows SDK 10.0.14393
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/build-error-assembly-csharp-firstpass-dll-could-not-be-found-hololens.488357/