Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

getting low FPS in the Hololens device

Hi guys,

I started from scratch a Unity project, then I created a terrain. The complete scene have 66.8k triangles, 38.1k vertices. The Hololens device renders an unpleasant 25~30FPS. The project is running on release/x86, using the option 'start without debugging'. Also, in Edit/project settings/quality I set as default the 'simple' setting for the UWP and unchecked good/beautiful and fantastic. Any ideas?

PS: The hololens gets warm when I run this small project. I can notice on my head, and its hot when I touch it with my hands.

Answers

• Options

Here is a post with some tips about terrain performance that might help.

Have you tried removing the terrain and just putting in a similar sized plain to compare frame rates and performance between the two?

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

How many draw calls are you seeing? That will have a large impact on performance. In mobile game development you generally try to get around 30-50 draw calls. Adding more lights increases the draw calls, as well as shadows I believe. If you're using a lot of different texture maps, that will do it as well. Each texture map adds a draw call I believe, there are some plugins out there for Unity that will merge (they call it atlas) multiple texture maps for multiple objects into a single texture map for draw call reduction. Anything that doesn't require dynamic lighting should be marked as static as well.

Edit: Also, make sure you're running on the 'fastest' performance preset for Unity on your build export settings.

• Options

Great link @HoloSheep that provided a lot of information. Very appreciated.
    @Jarrod1937 I have only 1 light, 4 textures (large textures!) and the terrain (somewhat large). I think I'll simplify to see the results, and use your advice of 'fastest' quality. Thanks!

• Options
    BradBrad
    edited April 2016

There are some HoloLens Unity performance settings that are recommended that may help. These can make quite the performance difference. (Fastest quality level, shader preloading, rendering path -> forward, 16 bit depth buffers)