Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Configuration files for 3D Hololens apps?

My Hololens app needs to connect to another machine to do some socket stuff. The IP of the machine will change depending on what network I have the app connected to, so I want to expose the IP in a configuration file so I can modify the IP before a demo without having to redeploy the app.

Is there any easy way to do this with a Hololens app? I'm working in Unity.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• PatrickPatrick mod
    Answer ✓

Two ways I can think of, both use OneDrive.
    1. Follow the pattern you expect to follow, and open the file using the OneDrive APIs. To do this you will need to register your application for access to OneDrive. I found what looks to be a reasonable tutorial here.
    2. Register a file type association and launch your app by selecting a file with the associated type. This requires that you build your app as a .xaml application. So long as you have virtual reality supported and Windows Holographic enabled your app should still behave the same.

In a hurry, I'd pick option 2. If I had plenty of time to figure out the OneDrive API, I'd go with option 1.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

Answers

• PatrickPatrick mod
    Answer ✓

Two ways I can think of, both use OneDrive.
    1. Follow the pattern you expect to follow, and open the file using the OneDrive APIs. To do this you will need to register your application for access to OneDrive. I found what looks to be a reasonable tutorial here.
    2. Register a file type association and launch your app by selecting a file with the associated type. This requires that you build your app as a .xaml application. So long as you have virtual reality supported and Windows Holographic enabled your app should still behave the same.

In a hurry, I'd pick option 2. If I had plenty of time to figure out the OneDrive API, I'd go with option 1.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)