Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Wiki for Developers

I'm putting this in the Q&A section because although it's not a question, I hope it can help answer questions going forward.

I've created a new Wiki for us HoloLens developers to collaborate as we learn together.

http://www.wikiholo.net

The idea is NOT to replace dev.windows.com but rather to augment it. For example, Holographic Academy has many guides that walk you through starting from a sample package they provide and adding features, but I could never find a guide for starting a completely new HololLens project from scratch. Therefore I created the New Project page on the Wiki. And I'm keeping it up to date too. For example, with Unity Beta 14 we no longer have to manually edit the Package.appxmanifest to set the MaxVersionTested to 10.0.10586.0 and I've noted that on the page.

I'm also using the Wiki to provide help for common hardware and software issues that are cropping up here in the forums. The Common Problems page currently helps with troubleshooting hardware issues with the Clicker as well as Unity software issues like applications showing up as flat 2D windows and spatial mapping not working.

The Wiki is open to new accounts and I'd love for those who think it's a good idea to join and contribute.

Thanks!

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

Comments

• Options

I like this idea, I'll contribute to the Wiki if I can. That is one thing I find missing from the documentation. For things like PHP's docs, you can add comments at the bottom, which can be helpful for users to note undocumented behavior or known pitfalls.

• Options

I can't seem to be able to edit without an account, and I can't seem to be able to create an account. I'm sure you can just do anonymous edits and be safe, if you find they're being abused, then you can require an account.

• Options

I'd love to have your contributions and I'm sorry about the problems with registering an account. I've done an unauthenticated wiki before and it became a nightmare to manage. That's why I was requiring account creation this time around. Can you tell me a bit about your registration problem? Are you just not receiving the verification e-mail?

I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

It's like taking your car to a mechanic, after you mention something it starts working ;)

It was giving me some random authentication error, but now seems to have let me register.
    And I see, sad that a few ruin it for the majority. Public edits just make things easier, but definitely understand.

• Options

Thanks for understanding. Maybe if I get some sysop volunteers in the future to help manage spam I might open it up to public edits. I agree, it is nice to have that.

Now that you're on please feel free to create whatever you think would be of value and I'll try to contribute to your pages. If you want to collaborate more directly you can reach me at my personal address jbienz.solersoft.com (replace first . with @).

• Options

Once upon a time I tried hosting a wiki with public edits enabled. Never again. :)

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

@jbienzms: Do you think it would be useful to have a page where people who actually have devices and are willing to demo/help those who don't can put up contact info?

• Options

@Jesse_McCulloch I think that's a phenomenal idea. But how can we keep those people from getting spammed all over the place? Let me see if I can create a page that's only visible to logged in users.

• Options

DONE! I'm running MediaWiki and it doesn't support limiting page views to authenticated users (it just supports limiting edits) so I had to install the Lockdown extension and figure out how to configure it. But it's all setup now and I've already put my own information in the list.

Here you go!

Borrow a Device

• Options

@jbienzms something you mentioned in your original post:
    "but I could never find a guide for starting a completely new HololLens project from scratch. "

The Holograms 210 - Gaze deep dive academy teaches you how to start a project from scratch. Please do try it to see if that helps with this.

• Options

I just joined to the HL wiki. I think is a good idea add to the 'performance tips' a section about shadows. Is advisable to avoid cast and receive shadows at any cost.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

@bernieSF, yep, though has anyone looked at using:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4386

It has it's limitations but can render the shadow of multiple objects in a single draw call.